Bruising or Blood-tinged Drainage After Liposuction?

I had Liposuction on my flanks, I/O thighs. Due to gravity, what looks like bruising has made its way down to my calves and ankles. Is this blood-tinged fluid that will resolve over time?

Bruising after liposuction

+1

All swelling and bruising goes south secondary to gravity.    This usually resolves over time, for bruisijg a few weeks, and swelling sometimes several months.

Ankle bruising after thigh liposuction is very unusual

+1

We have never seen bruising this far down after liposuction of the thighs.  If it is just bruising, it should be all gone in three weeks.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sounds normal to me after Liposuction

+1

I think you are right on. Gravity does allow for what blood that is in the non-vascular area to go "down." Normally, this resolves with time. You can add massage to help this process -- no studies, just clinical experience. Make sure you don't have the area that has pigment - discoloration - exposed to sunlight. This can makes things worse.

Michael Kulick, MD

Blood tinged fluid after liposuction

+1

Absolutely, yes.

In rare instances of severe bruising, deposition of hemosiderin in the skin may leave a slightly brownish discoloration but in the vast majority of cases it will resolve completely.

Bloody drainage after liposuction is extremely common and typically migrates well beyond the areas of treatment.

Gentle activity under the guidance of your physician along with the use of compression garments will help expedite resolution of the bruising. Some physicians are strong advocates of Arnica montana tablets and creams, Bromelain and manual lymphatic drainage and/or endermologie to aid this process.