Flaccidity Caused by Weightloss. Fillers with No Changes in Size of the Face, No Enlargment?

Can liquid facelift or fillers be used to restore much little amount of volume after weight loss and few flaccidity, without it changing the SIZE of the face, I mean NO ENLARGMENT of it? Is it possible? Thanks!!

Filler for volume loss

+1

Hi Barbara. I would recommend a thorough consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what may be best for your aesthetic desires. Radiesse is a great volumizing filler that can be great for cheekbones that have become more flattened or hollowed due to weight loss. With loss of cheekbone volume, nasolabial folds can become more pronounced. Filling this area can be aesthetically helpful, too. Unforunately, though, if there is a lot of excess skin, a surgical procedure might help meet your expectations. It is best to see in person. Best of luck!

Facial Size is Determined by the Bony Architecture

+1

If you have dropped  some pounds and want to restore the volume lost through weight loss, facial fillers are a good answer. 

Actually, your basic facial shape is determined by the bone structure which does not change with weight loss.  My best advice? Have conservative filler injections, see how it looks, and if you need a little more, go ahead and have it, of course. 

Always be conservative and explain to the plastic surgeon or dermatologist very carefully what you want to achieve. Also ask for computer imaging, which is very helpful in showing you what the doctor believes he can accomplish. 

When you see the "after" photo next to the "before" photo, you will have a very good sense of going ahead or not..

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

Fillers for Flaccid Cheeks from Weightloss

+1

Yes, fillers are actually an ideal treatment for flaccid, sagging facial skin. Radiesse is the one I would recommend. It is often used for anti-aging purposes, when the skin becomes flaccid due to slowed collagen production and loose connective ligaments. The thick, calcium hydroxylapatite-based compound forms a frame-like matrix in the tissue at the injection site. This matrix promotes and supports new collagen production while also creating structural changes as desired by the patient (the injector molds Radiesse to the patient's liking). This will result in a lifted appearance and a change in facial contours--not a change in volume to the entire face.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers to restore contour lost to weight loss

+1

It is indeed possible to restore the contours lost to weight loss by injectable fillers. When used correctly, they will not make entire face look bigger – just restore the balance.

It may take several syringes of filler. Do not be afraid – 5 mL is just 1 teaspoon.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Fillers add volume but volume used to shape the cheeks properly actually make the face more aesthetically attractive.  Loose skin may need to be removd with a minimal incision Facelift in combination with the fillers.

Fillers with No Change in Size of Face

+1

Fillers or fat can be used to improve local contours without changing the size of the face. I need to see pictures to determine exactly what you need and what you're trying to achieve.

Volume restoration after weightloss

+1

There are several factors at work with weight loss. Your age and the condition of your skin will influence how well your skin can "un-stretch".

Along with age, you also lose bony support and some level of muscle tissue, so this has some impact on the flaccidity of skin as there is less tissue beneath.

To refill the existing envelope of tissue, fillers may only be able to do so much without impacting the current size of your face to eliminate sagging. If there is too much skin, then certainly more filler has to be used if that is the only option you would consider. It's a catch-22 in a way.

I would suggest that you see a strong cosmetic dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon to determine if your skin has the potential to shrink back up or not.

If there is little chance for that happening, then you might want to consider surgical options to remove excessive skin - or if your skin is capable of producing adequate new elastin and collagen, nonsurgical assists like Ultherapy or Exilis are known to tighten sagging skin using heat.

Excessive skin flaccidity sometimes can ONLY be managed with surgery and that is not something we can determine without seeing and assessing your skin.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist