Flabby Wrinkly Neck After Losing Weight, How Can I Fix It?

I am 47 and in the process of losing weight and notice that my neck/throat is flabby and I am developing longitudinal wrinkles. I've been fortunate never to have had much in the way of wrinkles before, but these are deep and I find it hard to accept them. Is my only option surgery and how much of an improvement can I hope for? I'm currently using Bio-oil and massage, no improvement so far:-(

Treatment for Flabby Neck after weight loss

+1
Bio Oil and Massage will not help your neck appearance.
Depending on the degree of excess neck skin will determine the best approach ranging from a modified facelift (mini lift), neck lift only to a full traditional facelift with or without platysmal plication.

For most I have been able to use a mini lift such as the MACS lift, Lite Lift and others will improve both the lower face(jawline) as well as the neck. A necklift mainly focuses on the neck. The best value and quickest recovery time in my experienced is from a mini-lift procedure. For more extensive turkey waddle problems there is no substitute for a traditional facelift/necklift procedures.

An exam is always needed to determine how the specific causes of your undesired neck appearance. In particular there are 4 main factors that need to be evaluated:
1. the amount of redundant skin, excess fat below the chin, (requires neck or facelift)
2. banding of your neck mid-line neck muscles (platysmal bands) - requires platysmal plication (neck tightening)
3. elasticity of your skin. - requires laser or peels, thermage, ultherapy
4. a weak chin (supports the skin structure) - requires chin augmentation
Each of these components are dealt with in a different manner. For example, excess fat requires direct removal or liposuction (more common), widely spread playtsmal bands are brought together (neck tightening), and excess skin is removed with a lower facelift or neck lift (this can be done with minimal scars). Certain lasers and peels can help with elasticity problems and your photo seems to indicate adequate chin projection.

Traditional liposuction removes excess fat superficial to the platysmal muscle. A neck lift is able to remove fat both above and below the platysmal muscle and tighten it; this will give a more defined jaw/neck line. .The lax skin in your upper neck can be approached directly by a less invasive facelift in the mini-face lift such as the MAC or Lite Lift procedures. The least invasive would be one of these procedures which corrects the upper neck loose skin extremely well.. My own personal preference and in my hands the one with the least invasive approach is a Lite Lift which is performed in my office under local anesthesia with some oral sedation without the need for IV sedation or general anesthesia.

Always go to a board certified plastic surgeon with great experience in neck and face lifting.

Fix Flabby Wrinkled Neck After Weight Loss

+1

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Wait at least 6 months to a year after you have lost all of your weight you plan to lose before having a procedure to tighten your neck.

A neck lift and possible muscle tightening (Platysmaplasty) is the preferred method for tightening neck skin after weight loss.

There are many non surgical methods out there-Thermage, LuxIR Deep, Titan, Ulthera etc. but they only achieve at best a 20 % result.

Be sure to see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Flabby neck after weight loss

+1

Based on your description it appears that you would be a good candidate for a surgical neck lift - good luck.

Sam Naficy, MD

Treatment for flabby wrinkly neck after weight loss

+1

Flabby neck skin cannot be treated with just a neck lift alone.  A face/neck lift is the only option to fix flabby neck skin.  The 2 longitudinal wrinkles that are present in the neck are called flexion creases and are unable to be improved with any type of procedure.  Skin lotions and potions will not help inelasticity in the neck.

Neck lift options

+1

The wrinkles on your neck can be treated with laser treatments. If your sagging is minimal you could benefit from Ulthera, a non-invasive skin tightening treatment. However, if the sagging is more severe, a neck lift surgery might be your best option.

During a consultation with an expert facial plastic surgeon, he will be able to examine the loose skin around your neck and the wrinkles and determine the best treatment plan for you.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Post massive weight loss neck laxity ages you!

+1

A full face is a youthful face, so in the case of significant weight loss, facial laxity and loss of volume result in a more aged look. Neck tightening is typically the answer with sagging skin excess in the neck. Incisions tend to go up to the sideburn and around the ear, but you may require less than that. I would recommend you see a Board-Certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and opinion about what would be best for you.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

What can I do about my flabby neck

+1

The most noticable signs of aging in the neck typically result from laxity in the platysma muscle. When it sags it can create a "turkey neck" appearance. This can be accentuated with weight loss as the muscle is stretched when you gain weight and as you lose weight it will sag. The most effective treatment for a sagging neck is surgery. Surgical procedures could range from a neck lift to a neck lift as well as a facelift depending on whether or not you have jowling as well.

Regarding the deep lines in your neck, it is difficult to give specific recommendations without seeing pictures. There are options such as thermage and ulthera. I would consult with an experienced and qualified surgeon for treatment options.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Sagging neck after weight loss

+1

In general, the loosenes in the neck with weight loss and advancing age is due to looseness of the platysmal muscle. This muscle travels from the collarbone to the edge of the jaw and loses its elasticity with age. If you have excess weight in your neck, this stretches the muscle. With weight loss, the muscle looseness becomes more obvious. Longitudinal wrinkles an be seen with a lot of muscle looseness or weight loss. Unfortunately, there are not many effective options to improve the elasticity or tightness of the neck muscle or skin other than surgery. Fractional laser resurfacing may help tighten the skin to a small degree and there are newer therapies trying to tighten the muscle using heat (Thermage or Titan) or ultrasound (Ulthera). However, these treatments may end up not meeting your expectations and can still be expensive. 

Gregory J. Vipond, MD, FRCSC
Inland Empire Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Photos would help in the evaluation.  The wrinkles and texture, of the neck skin, can be improved with topical skin care, mild Laser or Chemical Peels.  Some type of skin removal would be required to remove excess skin. The least invasive uses a limited incision under the chin.  The most invasive would entail performing a formal Neck Lift.  You may want to consult with a plastic and cosmetic surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty

Loose, Flabby Neck

+1

Typically, neck skin that has poor skin tone will be loose and hanging with facial jowels.  This situation is usually best improved with surgical face and neck lift.  If the neck skin has good skin tone in presence of some fatty tissue the patient may be a candidate for neck liposuction.  Lastly, if the neck has wrinkles, there are various lasers that can improve the skin. 

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon