Flabby Belly After Teen Weight Loss - How to Tighten Up? (photo)

Hi, I'm a male, 20, 5'8" and I currently weigh 165lbs. I've been overweight since I was about 11 years old, and from the time span of being 17-19 years old, went from weighing about 215 to 245lbs. Since September of 2012 I have lossed about 85lbs. but my belly remains very flabby despite situps and the skin sags and rolls when I bend or sit. I also have stretch marks on my abdomen. Please can someone tell me whether this is loose skin or fat and if I could get it looking tight and toned? Thanks!

Loose Skin with Weight Loss

+1
Our skin has a certain amount of elasticity.  When it is stretched for too long it may not retract as much as we would like.  It is disappointing that you have gone such a long way and still don't look right.  Additional weight loss and exercise do not tighten skin.
Options available are a tummy tuck and the Cellulaze laser with or without liposuction.  
Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Tummy tuck DC

+1
From your current photographs it seems as though you'll be a good candidate for full tummy tuck with muscle tightening and possibly some liposuction of the flanks.
You seem to be having good success with your weight loss. I always recommend to my patients that they arrive at their stable wait before they embark upon surgery. Stable weight does not always meanrail thin ,what it means a weight that you feel comfortable at and can maintain without starving yourself.
You don't want to starve herself just before surgery because it will make it more difficult to heal. You don't want to lose a lot of weight after your surgery because the skin may become even looser once again.
So it's looks as though you're doing everything right and well on your way to tummy tuck but try to accomplish your weight loss goals before you proceed.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+1

Congrats on the weight loss!  Based on the photos provided you are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck does two things, it removes excess loose skin and it tightens the underlying abdominal wall muscles. The trade-off it is a scar in the lower abdomen usually hidden under the bathing suit or bikini line .

From the photograph I cannot tell you how loose the abdominal wall muscles are, but you clearly have a significant amount of loose abdominal skin.

A board certified plastic surgeon can evaluate the skin with a pinch test and give you a sense of abdominal muscle separation.

Your plastic surgeon can show you before and after pictures of the scars associated with this type of surgery.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

How to tighten loose skin.

+1
Hello and thank you for your question.Great job on the weight loss! Unfortunately after significant weight loss you are left with loose saggy skin. The only way to remove that is with surgical excision. No amount of exercise will improve the flabby skin. I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.
Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

Tummy after weight loss

+1

Congratulations  on the weight loss.  Your only really worthwhile option is a tummy tuck.  You have too much loose skin for any other option , such as liposuction, to be of any use. You should go on a few consults to learn what is involved and find out if it is right for you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck in men

+1

Unfortunately, there is very little non surgical options to tighten up the muscles, remove the stretch marks and excess skin except a tummy tuck. This usually works quite well and it is performed as an outpatient.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck will address the loose skin

+1

Based on your photos and your history of weight loss,  a tummy tuck will not only remove your excess skin, but also tighten your abdominal wall. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a good exam to be sure. Unfortunately, you can not tighten up loose skin with exercise.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Extra Skin After Weight Loss ? Tummy Tuck Usually Needed to Tighten Up

+1

There are no miracles for tightening skin without surgery.  It takes a year on most people to see how much their skin wil bounce back after weight loss.  Stretch marks show that the elastic fibers were broken when the skin was stretched.  Very likely the extra "flab" that you dislike will not go away without a surgery to remove it.  The trade off will be a scar in the lower abdomen.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Flabby Belly After Teen Weight Loss - How to Tighten Up?

+1

You have very stretched skin lower abdominal flap. Only excision will improve but there will be a hip to hip scar. Best to obtain in person opinions from boarded PSs in your city/state..

+1

You did a great job getting healthy and in shape. You have done all you can on your own and it will now take a surgical procedure to remove the excess skin and give you a tight and young looking abdomen.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD