Is Just Fixing the Tip of a Wideset Bulbous Nose a Difficult Procedure?

The tip of my nose is quite bulbous and my nostrils are large. When I smile, my nose becomes very wide and the tip appears much bigger. If you are looking up at my nose it tends to look a little `pig like` and crooked. I`ve been to consultation and the Doctor only spent 10 minutes with me. He said he would refine the tip and make my nostrils smaller, but he doesn`t believe he`d have to touch any bone. I would like to know if my nose is a challenge to do or is it pretty routine?

Difficulty of fixing wide bulbous nose tip

+1

The wide bulbous tip of the nose is treated by removing some of the cartilage, suturing the remaining cartilage together and eliminating soft tissue between the domes. This is often done in conjunction with rhinoplasty, but can be done as a stand-alone procedure as a tip plasty. The nostrils can be made smaller and narrower with an alar plasty. This is a fairly routine procedure in experienced rhinoplasty hands. Remember that the nose will get larger and wider when smiling whether or not patients have had a rhinoplasty.

Tip Reduction or Full Rhinoplasty

+1

From your picture it is difficult to determine if you need only a tip reduction or a more extensive rhinoplasty. Rhinoplasty surgery is always a challenge but you can expect a good result if you find a good surgeon who spends more than 10 minutes with you.

Tiplasty or Rhinoplasty...it Depends on the Anatomy and the Surgeon

+1

Hi Cindy,

It is very important to feel comfortable with the rhinoplasty surgeon that you ultimately choose to operate upon you.  Rhinoplasty involves the total nose, though sometimes just the tip, or just the upper 2/3 need to be addressed depending upon the patient's anatomy, desires, and diagnosis.  Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Tip and alar base work

+1

It is difficult to say what you would need without a formal exam and certaily mroe photo views.  It is always important to be seen in person.

Tip rhinoplasty

+1
Rhinoplasty, cosmetic nose surgery, is like a puzzle. If you change one piece of the puzzle, the others must change as well to make it "fit". If you alter the tip of the nose, the dorsum or bridge must be shaped to be proportionate to the tip and provide a balanced nose with harmony.

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Narrowing a bulbous tip

+1

Hi Cindy,

For an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, there is nothing about your nose that would present a particular problem. Straightening, narrowing, stabilizing, and refining your tip should be a straightforward procedure for surgeons who have made a career of rhinoplasty.

Above all, you should find a surgeon who takes the time to answer your questions, shows you examples similar to your own goals, understands your aesthetic, and explains the procedure in detail. If you can't find a local surgeon with whom you feel comfortable, look elsewhere. Many surgeons now offer Skype consultations and can answer your questions in more detail.

Jason Litner, MD

Is tip-plasty difficult?

+1

If you go to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, you should get a natural nice looking nose. However, it is easy to say you just "need a little tip work" and end up with a poor result. Therefore, see another surgeon who will take more than 10 min with you and show you live patients that he has done a tip reduction on and look natural!