Fixing Deviated Nose Nasal Trauma Rhinoplasty? (photo)

My nose is deviated from past nasal trauma (see picture). Recently I suffered another suspected broken nose and my ENT wants to perform a closed reduction tomorrow; I am reluctant to have this as I think most of the deviation is from an old injury. Furthermore, it would be performed 16 days after the injury so my overall concerns are that it my cause further damage. Am I wise to turn down the closed reduction and seek a full rhinoplasty from a specialist instead? What would need doing to my nose?

How to fix a deviated nose, nasal hump and difficulty breathing at the same time

+1

Hello and thanks for your question,

Rhino-septoplasty can be done to correct the hump, bony and cartilage irregularities and improve the function of the nose.

Sometimes septal deviation, nasal valve collapse or turbinate hypertrophy can create congestion or difficulty breathing and these conditions can also be corrected by specific procedures.

I would recommend that you would be seen by a nose specialist with passion for rhinoplasty.

Dr Sajjadian,

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

DrSajjadian.com

Close versus open nose repair

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo.  If you just want to return back to your nose shape after the first injury then a closed reduction at this time is reasonable.  If you want to return to a nose shape prior to your first injury and would like additional refinements.changes then a formal open rhinoplasty would be recommended.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Fixing broken nose

+1

We do not perform closed reduction on the nose because in our experience it just never heals correctly.  When the nose gets broken it is best to undergo an open reduction rather than closed reduction of the nasal bones and this involves both medial and lateral osteotomies to make very controlled cuts in the nose bone so that the entire nasal pyramid can be restraightened and aligned for perfect symmetry.  An open reduction of an acute nasal fracture is usually billed to the patient’s medical insurance for medical necessity.

Treatment of Deviated Nose Secondary to Trauma

+1

I agree that you would improve your nose with a full rhinoplasty. Have just one procedure and correct all the problems so you achieve the result you desire rather than just a stop gap measure.

Fixing Deviated Nose Nasal Trauma Rhinoplasty?

+1

Your question is a little late. But if possible delay the operation until you have obtain additional information and feel you are going in the correct direction. 

+1

I used to perform many closed nasal reductions during my training some 25 years ago.  My overall impression was that this procedure is completely ineffective and as such I haven't done this procedure in over 22 years.  In cases of nasal trauma the nose is examined to rule out a septal hematoma, left to heal for several weeks after which a Rhinoplasty is performed if aethetically indicated.  Hope this helps.