Fixing Crooked Nose Without Rhinoplasty

I was punched on the nose causing a deviation to the left. The nasal bone has not moved, the slight twist begins mid nose. My surgeon recommended a septoplasty with grafts to address the deviation. How can this alone treat the deviation. I can't find any examples of crooked noses treated without rhinoplasty as well. I don't want any change to the nose, just the twist amended. Many thanks in advance, your time and expertise is so very greatly appreciated.

Rhinoplasty for crooked nose without osteotomies?

+5

While it is true that a twisted tip can be treated with separation of components and grafting without osteotomy, it is a rare patient that I would not complete a osteotomy on.  The osteotomy actually increases success of the straightening by removing any last amount of inherent asymmetrical forces.  The overal appearance of the nose does not have to change significantly with rhinoplasty.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rhinoplasty

+3

Thanks Chris-

A deviated nose can be surgically straightened restoring it's original form without changing the rest of the nose architecture.

If you do not want any surgery, there is the possibility that injectable filler could be used to give your nose a straighter appearance...I have done this and only recommend it in special cases. There is an obvious chance that you may need additional injections anywhere from 1 to 3 years after.

Good luck!

Dr. C

johnconnorsmd.com

John Philip Connors III, MD

Repair of Crooked Nose Without Rhinoplasty Surgery

+3

Hi Chris,

A deviated nose can be straightened back close to it's original form without changing the rest of the nose.  If you do not want any surgery, there is the possibility that injectable filler could be used to give your nose a straighter appearance.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Fixing crooked nose without rhinoplasty

+2
As long as the nasal bones are straight and not crooked a septoplasty with harvesting of septal cartilage for spreader graft placement is a common method to straighten the mid-portion of the nose. A rhinoplasty itself does not have to be performed and the shape of the nose can remain exactly the same, only straightening the nose.  Osteotomies of the nasal bones are only performed when the nasal bones themselves are  crooked.  For many examples of  crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link below to our rhinoplasty photo  gallery.

You may be a candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty to improve the appearance of your crooked nose.

+2

A well-performed Injectable Filler procedure may help to straighten the crooked appearance of your nose after your trauma. Of course, this will not improve your breathing or address your septal deviation. If you're breathing fine, you may consider a non-surgical approach instead of a septoplasty and spreader graft. I prefer Silikon-1000 for permanent results. I've attached a photo demonstrating non-surgical correction of a crooked nose with Silikon-1000.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

What to do with a crooked nose.

+2

Dear Chris,
What your surgeon has recommended is a septorhinoplasty to improve your deviated nasal bone. Basically, what he has proposed is an open Septoplasty with spreader to correct deviated nasal bone and septum. If your nasal bone injury is less than a week old, it can be corrected with a simple and short procedure called closed fixation and internal fixation.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Correcting a crooked nose

+2

What you are describing which includes a septoplasty with spreader grafts is often part of a rhinoplasty procedure. Rhinoplasties or septorhinoplasties can be done to straighten a nose without changing the overall architecture or appearance of the nose. Many times additional bony work is necessary to straighten the entire nasal complex. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

A crooked nose after injury will need rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty can describe any surgical procedure on the nose, including a repair of a displaced nasal fracture. If your nose is indeed twisted or crooked after an injury then the bone and cartilage must be displaced in some way. We would favor a reduction of the fracture rather than placement of cartilage grafts to camouflage the displacement. Your airway and breathing may benefit as well.

peterejohnsonmd

Fixing Crooked Nose Without Rhinoplasty

+2

As the previous expert posters have stated, IN PERSON examination is paramount. Than a surgical plan can be determined and a full explanation can be given. Best of luck. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Stick with Rhinoplasty

+2
It sounds like your surgeon has offered a very good treatment plan.  Based on your description, and without being able to examine you, it does sound like cartilage grafts are a good idea to support the deviated portion and correct the deformity.  Nasal trauma can affect the cartilage without causing a bony fracture.  The reason you can't find pictures of crooked noses treated without rhinoplasty is because rhinoplasty is the best and most effective option.  Other treatments such as injecting fillers in the nose are only useful for very minor irregularities, but generally will not straighten a significantly crooked nose. 

Anurag Agarwal, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon