Fixing Capsular Contracture?

I had breast implants 9 years ago, I was evaluated by a plastic surgeon 3 years ago who told me I was in stage 2 of capsular contraction and I would need to have the implants removed/replaced within the next few years.

Since then the right breast has become very hard, I have aching in my chest and back, my chiropractor has suggested it is scar tissue build up. What is the procedure to remove then replace the implants and where do I go to find a surgeon who can do this procedure. How much is this kind of procedure?

Breast implant capsular contracture

+1

Typically in capsular contracture, the breast hardens and becomes pushed up and may be painful. A medicine called Accolate can help improve contracture in some patients. If the condition is severe or does not improve with Accolate, surgery to remove the hardening and replace the implant is your best option. Taking Accolate after such a surgery can decrease your chances for it happening again. A new material called strattice has shown some evidence that it may prevent hardening when sewn in the implant pocket.

You likely need a capsulectomy or removal of capsule

+1

It sounds like you have pretty severe capsular contracture. It is likely (and of course difficult for me to know without examining you) that you need this scar capsule removed surgically. Do you have silicone gel implants? How quickly did the capsule form after your original or last breast operation?

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

It depends on how extensive

+1

You would need to be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon first to see what would be needed to give you an improvement. Only then could they discuss the anticipated costs of the procedure. I would recommend that you start with seeing a plastic surgeon to go over your options.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS