How to Fix a Tara Reid Tummy With Lumps and Wrinkles From BodyTite Lipo? (photo)

I had bodytite lipo in June of 2010, I have a lump and a wrinkle at the top of my abdomen (see pic) kinda like Tara Reid I am wondering how to get this fixed? What happened here? Is a tummy tuck my only option? A mini tummy tuck? Fat grafting? Really unsure... thanks so much!!

Laser or radiofrequency tightening liposuction - miracle or marketing hoax?

+3

There are many new liposuction tightening procedure that have come onto the market.

Are they any good?

Their proponents tout better skin contraction and less bruising and swelling than with "traditional" liposuction, whatever that is.  Revolutionary. 

I have used several laser and ultrasound devices and continue to offer them to patients if they are convinced that is what they want. 

I believe, however, that they offer absolutely nothing that well done tumescent or superwet liposuction with advanced cannula design cannot accomplish.  Perhaps there is slightly less bruising with the laser as opposed to without the laser, but this difference is in my opinion very small if it is there at all. 

Compared to a well done tummy tuck, many of the before and after results of aggressive laser liposuction on patients who really needed a tummy tuck are pathetic.

What's more, lasers and radiofrequency devices BURN.  If the tips get too close to the skin surface, the most likely explanation for your problem, you will get a burn.  I have seen many patients who had their skin burned, and it is now firm like wood, or quite discolored (darkened in patches) when doctors ventured too close to the surface trying to tighten the skin or cure cellulite and actually burned it.  Yes, when you burn something, it contracts.  It contracts because water is lost from the tissue or scarred), just as it does in a burn injury.

We have learned with lasers, which we use extensively, that only fractional ablative lasers can be used on the body, not fully ablative lasers.  The skin can only heal so much injury in different areas of the body.

Some of the manufacturers have turned down the heat on the end of their devices to prevent this type of injury. They did it quietly and didn't say whether their current devices "tighten" like the old "Chernobyl" ones did.

The laser sounds like frying bacon when you are using it.  You smell the burning tissue.  Burned tissue is dead, so you have to take a regular cannula to suck it out or the body has trouble degrading it.  It is dead, after all.  You can bypass this step with superwet liposuction since the tissue you are sucking out goes directly into a container and bypasses the dead-tissue-being-degraded-by-the-body step.

So do a little research, use a little common sense each time a new device comes out, not jump right into it because it was on GMA or Dr. Oz.

As far as your problem is concerned, definitely consult some board certified plastic surgeons who can advise you on how to proceed.

I know this will not be a popular post, but somebody had to say it.

Tara Reid Abdomen

+2

Hello Leeesa1,

I am sorry you have this unsatisfactory result.  Although your photo is not perfect in giving me the information needed, I believe that you have a number of issues. First, you have some fat irregularities due to uneven removal/resorption of fat from the liposuction and laser lipolysis. Second, you have a loosening of skin support, causing waves and wrinkles in your skin.  Finally, you have redundancy of your skin (extra skin) in both the upper and lower abdomen.  Because of all these issues, revision liposuction, fat grafting, and even a mini-tummy tuck would be poor treatment options to solve your aesthetic issues.  Only a full abdominoplasty will tighten the skin both above and below the belly button.  Additionally, any irregularities in the thickness of the abdominal skin flap (irregularities in the thickness of the fatty tissue) can be addressed as well.

Don't worry, this is not the worst thing that could have happened to you from laser lipolysis.  Although these issues seem insurmountable, an abdominoplasty performed by a well trained and highly experienced surgeon will make your abdomen look very nice, one that should make you very happy and content with.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Laser liposuction complications

+1
  There are a myriad of “laser” liposuction machines that are being promoted by manufacturers and some surgeons with unproven claims.  Your unsatisfactory results are a proof that it’s much more important to pick the right surgeon than the right “tool”.  In my practice I use various liposuction tools to achieve desired result.  You could benefit from revision lipo-sculpture, that would involve redistribution of fat to smooth out your contour.  You do not need  a tummy tuck.  Please consult a surgeon that has lots of experience with correcting these type of deformities.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

How to Fix a Tara Reid Tummy With Lumps and Wrinkles From BodyTite Lipo?

+1

The poor exposed photo of ONLY one view allows the only treatment as fat grafting with maybe some expert superficial liposcultpure. Best to be seen in person by many surgeons.  Sorry for your issues. 

correction of a tara Reid abdomen

+1

Dear Leeesa 1,

you are right, you have an abdomen like Tara Reid. this is an unfortunate and quite frustrating poor result of liposuction.

you may need several revisions.

First I would offer you to revise with just liposuction. this has to be done with "hyper tumescence " to swell up the tissues adequately.  Only  very fine cannulas ( 2-3 mm ) should be used, and most of it with no suction on, to 'equalize " the fatty layers.

you may or may not need fat grafting at the same time.

If this is not enough to improve the appearance of your abdomen, then 6 months or 1 year later you may have to consider a mini or full tummy tuck if the skin laxity allows it, and assuming you are finished with having children.

a tummy tuck will tense the skin and give you a "tighter " look.But this is to the price of another procedure, a scar in your lower abdomen, and the need to take off work 2 weeks. 

This is quite a problem, and I am not sure if you are ready to go that route with the added costs etc..

your new surgeon should be Board Certified in Plastic Surgery and have experience in this type of revision.

Good luck

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD

Treatment for abdominal rippling and irregularities

+1

It looks like a tummy tuck type of procedure is the way to go to tighten the skin and smooth the contour. You have waited long enough. Spot fat grafting will be difficult to do.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Several possible options

+1

I do think you have some options available, but I can't guarantee how succewssful they will be.  You could try liposuction or powerassisted lipo to release any of the scar attachments and then try some type of collagen stimulating procedures like skin tyte etc.  A tummy tuck is a possibility but I don't think you need one based on the photos.  Overall, I would speak with several plastic surgeons before deciding on a plan which might also include things like Thermage and ultrasonic massage.  Good luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

The heartbreak of radiofrequency liposuction

+1

There is a drawback in the new radiofrequency liposuction. The system causes heat to melt the fat and the thermal burn to assist with skin tightening. Burns do have the risks of deep scar and dents, and the skin tightening can be unpredictable. Fat grafting may be an option.

Peter Johnson, MD.

BodyTite ripples, loose skin

+1

It seems like you have been left with loose skin despite the claim by manufactures of BodyTite and other similar fancy liposuction systems that they create skin tightening.  That clearly did not happen here.  You should see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss you options.

A tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck wold be best to treat loose skin, but based on your pics it is difficult to tell whether or not you have enough skin laxity for one of these procedures.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Revision liposuction

+1
It's hard to tell from your photo but it looks like you have very little body fat and still have some loose skin on your abdomen. This is frustrating I am sure. Most patients in your situation need some type of skin excision to tighten the remainig extra skin. I would meet with a few board certified plastic surgeons in your area to discuss options. The original lipo was btw probably done correctly it's just that your skin didn't contract well after the fat was removed. I'd wait 6 months before planning any additional procedures. All the best, Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS