What Can I Do to Fix the Scar on the Vermillion Border of my Upper Lip?

I am unhappy with how my upper lip now looks and would like to know what possible treatments there are to fix or remove the scar and approximately how much it would cost. I received the cut about a month ago and the wound has since healed but the upper border is now slightly misaligned by the scar. Also, is laser treatment a possibility I should consider? What would the approximate downtown be for a corrective procedure? Thanks.

Lip scar treatments for red and white scars

+1

In my practice, I would recommend a scar excision and layered closure to reapproximate this lip scar. 

Lip scar revision

+1

Your lip scar is more noticeable because the lines of the upper lip is disrupted.  Lasers may help decrease the pigment in the scar but this will not help with the misalignment.  This is relatively straight forward to do.  I would recommend on surgically correcting the misalignment to get the best results.  Be sure you visit with a plastic surgeon as they will be most comfortable with the layers of the lip tissues and in revising the scar.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Scar Removal of Upper Lip (Scar Revision)

+1

Scars around the lip can be noticed if the aligment is 1 millimeter off. In order to revise your lip sar and make it less noticeable, a realignment of the vermillion border needs to be performed. From El Paso.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Correcting lip scar

+1

After 2 months from the injury an in-office procedure called a z- plasty can be performed to fix this problem.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Upper lip scar

+1

You need a scar revision and surgical realignment of the upper vermillion which is the upper border of the lip. Downtime is about 1 week.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lip Scar Correction

+1

You have a simple misalignment of the vermilion border of your upper lip.  This is common in traumatic repairs of the lip as well as where injuries were allowed to heal without a formal repair.  All you would need is to have the scar surgically removed and the edges of the "white roll" of the upper lip aligned.  No laser will correct the alignment issue in your lip, but this could be considered later if you developed a problem scar.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Fix the Scar on the Vermillion Border of my Upper Lip

+1

Best to see in person a boarded plastic surgeon in your area. The evaluatiuon can lead to no treatment, time to heal, laser, or surgery in a revision. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Scar on lip

+1

The best way to address a scar on the lip is to have a plastic surgeon experienced in scar revision evaluate it in consultations. Treatment varies based on skin type, location and scar appearance. Any potential revision also carries the risk of making the scar worse.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Treatment: Common Questions

+1
The main issue from your image is the misalignment of your vermillion boarder. This is the red line that is along the outside of your lips. To correct the alignment, and to remove the mild hypertrophic scar, you would require a surgical correction for the best cosmetic outcome. Lasers will not have an effective role in this injury as the soft tissue misalignment, not the discoloration, is the main issue. The injured site will look the most violet in color at 1 month – completely normal. This can be done in an office under local anesthetic. I would recommend seeing a specialist for the best possible outcome.

Be healthy and be well,
James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS