Can You Fix Scar Tissue That Has Distorted Lip?

Daughter fell and teeth ripped thru under lip and partly on bottom lip. She was stitched in the emergency room and outside healed well. At 4 weeks I began massaging the hard scar tissue that formed inside lip and it has softened, but lip is fatter on injured side after 5 months and mouth looks lopsided. I stopped massaging because it didn't reduce size - almost seems worse than in beginning. I still feel some hardness under the inside scar line. I'm worried. How can this be fixed? She's 4.

Lip scarring

+2

Your daughter had what we call a through and through scar of the lip.  It is not uncommon for the mucosa of the lip to remain swollen longer than other parts of the body but the asymmetry is of concern, especially as this may affect her speech.  I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation.  The wound may have been closed by an emergency room doctor and not a plastic surgeon and may require a scar revision.  The difficulty in a four year old is the need for general anesthesia as a child of this age will not tolerate local anesthesia well in a non-emergency setting.

Facial scars, lip scars, active fx, deep fx, scaar fx, total fx, fraxel

+1

I am so sorry to hear of your problems. In short, modern scar correction techniques can help. My favorite methods involve combining techniques like lasers (ctive fx, deep fx, scaar fx, total fx, fraxel ),  prp, and fillers. Now a pearl - if you choose a great cosmetic doctor - he or she will help you. The best way to find one is to do some research. A great book to help is "Don't choose A Cosmetic Surgeon Without Me" found on amazon.com.

Barry Lycka, MD
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip scar revision to improve the bulkiness of the lip

+1

This excess lip scar tissue can be removed with a simple outpatient surgical technique that will reduce the bulkiness of the lip. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS