How Do I Fix the Puffiness & Fine Lines Caused by Using Retinol 1% Under the Eyes?

Recently, I used an OTC retinol product, RoC 1%, to improve the look of my skin (blotchy). Applied 3x over 1 wk on face. Skin became shiny, like it was scarring/very dry, & very sensitive. Applied under eyes, which became puffy. Almost 2 weeks w/o using product, but under eyes still puffy & now w/fine lines, which I never had. Anything applied under my eyes causes burning. Background: early 30s, no wrinkles, blonde/blue eyes, athletic, use Cetaphil cleanser, face reddens easily-possibly rosacea.

Irritation from creams can cause lines

+2

Sometimes patients can develop a contact dermatitis from  creams they apply  to the skin.  This is an allergy or a direct irritation due to the product.  Initially the skin can become red, itchy, and puffy.  After you remove the offending agent, the skin should improve on its own.  Some skin areas, such as under the eyes, are extremely sensitive and at particular risk.  Sometimes topical anti-inflammatory medications suchs as cortisones may be necessary.  You can try an over the counter 1% hydrocortisone ointment for a few days to help improve the irritation as well.  You can also try over the counter white petrolatum ointment to keep the area moist.  If it s not improving, you may want to see your Dermatologist for an opinion.

Skin reaction to retinol

+1

It sounds like you had either an irritant or allergic contact dermatitis to the retinol. perhaps you need to moisturize more when you use it. You may benefit from topical steroids. Talk to your dermatologist about this.

Dina D. Strachan, MD

Antihistamines may be needed to reduce puffiness after chemical peels or retinol

+1

Antihistamines may be needed to reduce puffiness after chemical peels or retinol. Sometimes topical steroids or emollients may also be required to help heal eyelid swelling.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Puffiness and lines

+1

One of the big confusion I see from patients is that they try to fix blotchy spots with Retinol.

Retinol is used for improving on the Collagen, and thus increase skin elasticity.

Hydroquinone, or Kojic acid are two of the products used for treating blotchiness.

Dr Siegel

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid puffiness

+1

It is difficult to discuss what the problem is and what the solution(s) are without seeing a photo.  Perhaps the puffiness you are describing is fat, which is not related to the outside skin or the topical treatment you have received.  You should consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon