What's the Best Way to Fix a Natural Ski-jump Nose?

What's the best way to correct a natural ski-jump nose? I am fair with thin skin and petite with delicate features. I feel that my nose (the tip is the problem) does not go with my face. My nose seems slightly upturned and my nostrils are quite long and narrow. Ideally, I'd like to just reduce the tip a bit (nothing pointy looking) and make it connect more smoothly to the rest of the nose (so that my nose has more of a straight line, rather than jutting out as it does now). What are my options?

Creating a beautiful profile

+2

Hi Mia Claire,

From the photo you are showing, you have a very nice profile line. Your tip looks a little projected relative to that and can be brought in a little to balance with the line of your bridge. Talk to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon as there are several ways to do this and some are more reliable than others. Your surgeon should also do some imaging to explore your desired aesthetic and arrive at a profile that feels right for you. All the best.

Fixing a natural ski-jump nose

+1

A natural ski jump nose can be addressed by deprojecting the tip, trimming back the membranous and cartilaginous columella.  Occasionally a small wafer of the patient’s own cartilage is placed in the super tip area if there is too much of a ski slope present.  

Rhinoplasty for "Ski-Jump" Nose

+1

It sounds like your tip needs to be deprojected, which will  help provide a smoother transition from midprofile down to the tip, and depending on the technique chosen, this can allow for a slight downward rotation of the tip if desired.  The alternative is to build up the profile, which can be done with either cartilage or Gore-tex.  You need to do your homework and find a surgeon who is experienced in these techniques, and is able to make the results look natural.

Jeffrey Epstein, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Improving a "ski jump" nose

+1

You do not really have a ski-jump nose by the looks of the photo you posted.  A well performed tip rhinoplasty to reduce the projection of your nose and round the nostrils slightly should give you an excellent result.

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Well-performed Rhinoplasty Surgery may be employed to deproject the tip of your nose.

+1

I read your concern, and reviewed your profile photo. You do not appear to have a "ski jump": your bridge is straight, and your tip is prominent and overprojected.

You could consult several reputable rhinoplasty specialists to learn what to expect after tip-plasty, Rhinoplasty Surgery.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Overprojected Nasal Tip

+1

The tip projection can be decreased - an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will explain alternative techniques to accomplish this and decrease rotation if necessary. You are fortunate because a better result can be achieved in patients with thin skin.

Tip rhinoplasty can be helpful

+1

By the picture you've submitted, I think you have a nice nasal profile.  What others see is often different than how we perceive ourselves.  That said, if you want to reduce the tip projection of your nose, I would be cautious about anything too drastic.  Often the tip only requires a very small change to achieve the enhancement you might be seeking.  Be sure to discuss your concerns, goals and expectations with your plastic surgeon.  This is the best way to achieve a satisfying result.    

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Options for Rhinoplasty

+1

From the profile photo, the nasal tip appears to be over-projected...which means it sticks to high off the face compared to the nasal bridge.  IMHO, this is why you feel it looks like a ski slope.  If, again IMHO, you build up the nasal bridge to match the tip...the whole nose will be to large for your small face.  Instead, I feel a closed tip plasty to thin and shape the tip as well as decrease projection would be more aesthetically  correct in your particular case.   This is technically not a full Rhinoplasty but rather what is called a closed tip-plasty as no bone or cartilage work, above the nasal tip, is required.  This means less bruising, swelling and recovery time.  The tip projection is decreased through a small incision in the columellar area.  Hope this helps. 

Treating an over projected nasal tip

+1

I recommend rhinoplasty to reduce the projection of the nasal tip. In doing so, the nostrils may need to be slightly narrowed as well. 

I find nasal tip de-projection to be a challenging surgical maneuver and would recommend you consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon in your area. 

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Correction of a "ski-jump" nose with rhinoplasty.

+1

While some patients with a "ski-jump" nose can benefit from building up the bridge of the nose with fillers, your photo suggests an over-projected tip, rather than a shallow dorsum (bridge). The only way to correct such a nose is with a rhinoplasty.  Rhinoplasty of the nasal tip should always be customized to a patient's specific anatomy and goals and should never be a cookie-cutter approach.

Also, as you research plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons, be sure to check out their before and after photos. This will help you to get a sense of their style but also to get a sense of the relative volume of surgeries they perform. If a majority of the surgeon's pictures are of rhinoplasties, you can reasonably conclude that they do it frequently. This is an operation where experience counts.

--DCP

David C. Pearson, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon