Should I Fix my Umbilical Hernia Before Pregnancy or Wait to Repair It After Giving Birth?

I am 37 years old. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with umbilical hernia on the 31 week of my last (third) pregnancy. My OB said she will try to repair it during my c-section but she was not able to reach out and do it from the c-section incision. Now I would like to get pregnant, should I fix the hernia first or should I go with pregnancy and birth then does the hernia repair???

Fixing a hernia before pregnancy

+1

Even though this question is better suited for your OB/GYN and your general surgeon, I would recommend fixing the hernia after your childbirth as the condition may recur if you correct it beforehand.

+1

Hello and thanks for sharing your question

You should think about fixing your Umbilical Hernia after your childbirth. If you do so before you the repair may stretch due to the pregnancy and may affect the end result

All the best

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Likely better after

+1

There is a small risk of complications with any hernia (incarceration of small intestine for example) but a high likelihood of recurrence or worsening as you "expand" through your pregnancy. Given the choice, I'd wait if you're not having pain or other adverse symptoms.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon