What Can Be Done to Fix Muffin Top 3 Months After Full TT? (photo)

So i got a full tt on dec 5, i go back next friday for another check up, what can i expect my doctor to do about my sides?..they look horrible i have a bad muffin top..Also i just started tanning again but i cover my scar up, an im still wondering would be a good nice to get my belly ring? ty for all the help

Muffin top after abdominoplasty

+1
  An properly performed abdominoplasty should address the contour issues of the entire trunk, not just the abdominal area.  From your photo it appears that the the fatty tissues above the incision are not in proportion with the tissues below the incision.  In my practice I perform concurrent liposuction of the entire trunk during the tummy tuck, in this fashion one gets esthetically pleasing, youthful and athletic look.  You could benefit from liposuction of the abdominal wall, waist and love handle areas to improve your results.  You do not need any further cutting/excisional surgery.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Muffin top after tummy tuck surgery.

+1

You appear to have excess skin and fat at the ends of your tummy tuck incision. Although some swelling is likely a factor, this is unlikely to improve enough to make you happy. Liposuction and scar revision should be able to improve these areas.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Treating upper hip fullness after liposuction

+1

The pictures you have included suggest excess fat in the upper hips and excess skin at the end of the scar leading to a "dog ear" deformity.  I would recommend discussing this with your surgeon.  For me, it is not too early to consider dog ear revision and liposuction of the upper hips.  Occasionally I will do the abdominoplasty and upper hip liposuction separately, particularly if there are other areas that are going to have liposuction as well.  When the liposuction is planned to be staged I will typically do it at about 3 months.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Contour issues 3 months post tummy tuck

+1

You are only 3 months out which is still early in the healing process so that you will still have a fair amount of swelling present. Nevertheless, it appears that you may still have some "extra" fat that might benefit from removal; there also appears to be a dog ear.

You should voice your concerns with your plastic surgeon when you see him/her but I would give this at least 3 - 6 months more before considering additional surgery. If there is a residual dog ear, it could be treated in office as a minor procedure with local anesthesia. If there is still a significant fat contour issue, then liposuction could be considered. Discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Tummy tuck and lateral fullness

+1

Did you have liposuction on the flanks?  You have some residual swelling, but also have dogears.  I would give it a full six months, incorporate compression if okay with your surgeon before considering revisional options.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Liposuction wil help the residual fullness laterally after TT.

+1

Thank you for your photos, they are very helpful.  You have fullness in your flanks after your TT due to either 1)  Persistent swelling after surgery, or 2) Bunching of tissues at the end of the TT incision.  Addition time and compressive garments may improve on this but likely you would benefit from liposuction of your flanks to reduce the volume there and to bring the contour in line with your flat abdomen.  The TT corrected your abdominal problem but doesn't extend far enough to correct the flank problem.  Check with your plastic surgeon about additional contouring with liposuction to put the finishing touches on an excellent job.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Avoiding/Treating Muffin Tops in Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

For many patients considering tummy tucks, the fullness of the flanks should also be factored in as a total waistline assessment. Many tummy tuck patients benefit by simultaneous liposuction of the flanks to avoid the 'muffin top' deformity afterwards if not done initially.  A tummy tuck affects only 180 degrees of the torso. Adding flank liposuction increases that to a 270 degree or more waistline effect. The good news is that it can still be done secondarily to get you the best waistline reshaping. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Conversion to extended abdominoplasty

+1

It may be necessary at times to revise an abdominoplasty.  Patients and plastic surgeons are rightly often concerned about the length of the abdominoplasty incision, and make every attempt to keep this as short as possible.  This often results in overreliance on liposuction laterally (in the "muffin top" area,  and inadequate direct tissue removal.   As a patient I would voice my concerns to my BC plastic surgeon, who I am sure will discuss with you the possibilities of a revision involving further tissue removal and liposuction, but with an extension of the existing abdominoplasty scar.  Bear in mind your plastic surgeon has the advantage of having both examined and operated on you, and I would therefore tend to trust his or her advice.

Glynn Bolitho, PhD, MD, FACS

Possible residual muffin top after tummy tuck?

+1

You are approximately 3 months after your tummy tuck surgery.    Did you have any liposuctioning done of your waist during your tummy tuck?   You may have residual swelling at your waist.  When you visit your PS, please ask them to check your compression garments to make sure you are gettingthe proper compression of your waists.   If with compression therapy, this area does not get any better, then you may need some liposuction to fine to the area.  

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS