What Can Be Done to Fix my Nose? Broken 5 Years Ago, Had Septoplasty, Still Crooked? (photo)

It was broken 5 years ago and i had a septoplasty done last year because i could not breath out of one nostril. I can breath perfectly but aesthetically i find my nose is crooked still. I thought when i was going in for surgery that this would have been corrected.

Rhinoplasty to Correct Crooked Nose

+1

An isolated septoplasty will not correct a very crooked nose.  From the picture provided your crooked nose will likely require addressing multiple areas of deviation.  A crooked nose needs to be analyzed by dividing the nose into thirds.  The upper one-third is composed of the bones of the nose, the middle third is composed of the cartilages that make up the sidewalls of the nose and the septum, and the lower third of the nose is composed of the septum and the cartilages encompassing the tip.  Correcting a crooked nose is a very challenging endeavor and it first requires the proper analysis and diagnosis in order to then implement the proper techniques.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Straightening a Crooked Nose with Septoplasty

+1

Thank you for posting your photos and sharing this question. Septoplasty is an operation to fix a deviated, crooked, fractured, or otherwise inappropriately shaped septum. This operation concentrates on the part of the septum that most affects breathing -- lower down, inside the nose.  When the nose is broken (from external trauma), often the septum is bent or broken -- along with the nasal bones. This can cause a crooked dorsum (the outside part of the nose, or the nasal bridge).  Straightening a crooked dorsum is more complicated and often requires reshaping the nasal bones with osteotomies (controlled breaks) or even opening up the nose. A rhinoplasty specialist can help with these issues.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon