Is It Possible to Fix my Nose Tip After Doctor Shortened It?

3 &1/2 months after my rhinoplasty, havent seen improvement my doctor shortened or pushed back the tip so my nostrils flare and are visible. Is it possible to have a small procedure to fix the tip to make it look longer again? I cant make nostrils smaller b/c they are small but they flare b/c of the tip. I had closed rhinoplasty btw, nose was suppositely slimmed on the sides and tip refined and bridge was lowered too much. I dont see improvement my nose looks wider and rounder tip then before.

Tip Lengthening Revisional Rhinoplasty

+2

The nose can be reliably lengthened if it has been over-rotated in a revisional tip rhinoplasty procedure. But you need to wait almost a full year before embarking on this procedure if needed or still desired by then. Tissues and scar must be softened before trying to stretch the skin back out

Short Nose

+2

After twelve months, it is possible to lengthen noses using a number of reliable techniques. Hopefully, after one year, you will require none of them.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose shortened too much with rhinoplasty.

+2

It is too soon to make judgements about your nose.  It takes 1 year for all the swelling to go down.  If it is still too short or pushed in this can be revised. 

Fix for rhinoplasty after nose is shortened

+2
In general, it is too soon to properly plan a revision until the nose has softened and healed for six to twelve months. There are fixes for a rhinoplasty which has missed the mark, though we caution that rhinoplasty is easiest the first time and there are few 'small' revisions. Options do exist so discuss things with your surgeon and prepare for a longer wait before a commitment.

Nose Tip Fix

+2

Thank you for the question.  Without an in-person exam it is difficult to say exactly, but ask your surgeon about these issues.  3-4 months post rhinoplasty is relatively too early to decide what may or may not resolve spontaneously.  If a revision is needed, options do exist and are often discussed after 1 year has passed.  Best wishes.

David C. Yao, MD, FACS
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Touchup rhinoplasty

+2

Revisions after rhinoplasty are very common. I find that they are much more common in closed rhinoplasty since you do not have direct control of the nasal structures and no ability to create good tip stability. If you need a revision, I would usually recommend an open rhinoplasty. I find that patients that try to do minor touchups, except in very specific cases, often end up doing more harm than good.

Andrew Rosenthal, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to fix a shortened nose tip?

+2

It's very hard to answer you without any photos. A tip that is under projected from a rhinoplasty can sometimes be improved with tip grafts place in precise pockets. This would be a relatively small procedure. Only a direct exam could tell if that was something you would benefit from or if other procedures are needed. At 3 and half months I would caution against doing anything as you may still over or under correct.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

When to consider revision rhinoplasty

+1

Most patients experience continued change due to tissue healing and swelling reduction for 12 months following a primary (first) rhinoplasty.  I would caution you against making any decision regarding the need for revision prior to this time.  If your nasal tip had been deprojected or overrotated excessively, there are techniques to correct this.  Most often this requires some reconstruction of the nasal tip support mechanisms and should be performed by a surgeon who is experienced with revision rhinoplasty and considers both cosmetic and functional aspects of the problem.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon