What Can I Do to Fix my Neck, is It Simply a Matter of Losing Weight? (photo)

I'm not fat, but I could probably lose 10-15 lbs. Would this reduce my neck sag? I am 35. I find myself elongating my neck and turning my head to a slight angle in all my pictures to eliminate this sag in pics. I'm starting to become very self conscious whereas only 2 yrs ago I had no concerns. An older friend of mine suggested hemerroid cream to tighten up the skin.

Consider Laser Liposuction For Double Chin

+4

Thank you for submitting your question and photograph.You are young looking and certainly do not need a surgical lift and weight loss may lessen the amount of fat on your neck but you will likely see loose skin after weight loss.

The new SlimLipo laser-assisted liposuction can produce excellent results to correct the double chin by not only removing fat but tightening the skin. Please see the link below.

Be sure to consult plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who are experienced and laser surgery.

Smartipo works great for fat under the chin

+1

Thanks for your question.  Small areas of excess fat under the chin in patients with good skin tone and no muscle laxity do well with liposuction.  Looking at the picture I would offer liposuction to help.  There are also laser-assisted liposuction treatments such as Smartlipo which is a great way to treat the area without having to go to the operating room.  I offer Smartlipo and have treated similar patients with very nice results.  Seek out a plastic surgeon board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with experience with this problem and be sure to see examples of patients the doctor has treated with similar issues.  I hope this helps.  Good luck. 

By the way, you should only seek out the procedure once you are at a stable, realistic weight for you.  If you can lose 10-15 and keep it off then great, but if not, then be realistic and see someone when you are at a weight that is normal for you.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Adjust to a healthier lifestyle first, followed by possible facial liposculpture later

+1

A few years ago, I wrote a book called “The Fine Art of Looking Younger” and indicated that there are people with the genetic there tendency to have fat under their chin. In our practice, we have done limited liposculpture on people who are athletes because no matter how much they work out, they have this problem area. To someone who feels they can lose 10-15 pounds, I would suggest that you adopt a healthier lifestyle to lose the weight. You should include athletic activities to optimize your physical weight and proportion of body fat. It is easier for me to sculpt a problem area in someone who is at least within a few pounds of their ideal body weight.

As a surgeon boarded in body, breast and extremity surgery, I do a fair amount of liposculpture. However, I don’t do liposculpture on obese people. I do liposculpture on people who are maximizing their fitness to the point they plateau but still have problem areas. In women for example, it would be in the bra roll area, the flank, or the area adjacent to the hip. In men, it would be the love handle area. So, there is a relationship between having a facial youthful appearance and a healthy body. I would always advise a lifestyle shift.

Clearly you are not ready for a facelift and I don’t think a hemorrhoid cream would make a difference.

I suggest that you take care of your weight first. Once you have lost some weight, some limited liposculpture may help define your jawline and the under chin area. I hope that was helpful, and thank you for your question.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Weight loss and the neck

+1

if your neck skin still has quality elastic properties, loosing some weight might improve the angle between you neck and jaw.  if the elastic qualities of your neck are poor, loosing weight might make the skin sag more.  can tell for sure from the photo.  conservative liposuction might be considered as an option plus/minus a genoiplasty.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the neck

+1

It appears that you have some excess fatty tissue in the neck area.  In my experience with patients with your type of anatomy, loosing 10 lb probably will not improve the appearance of your neck.  You could benefit from an expertly performed liposuction in the neck area.  Your skin should retraction  quite nicely.  Make sure that the surgeon is experienced with this type of a procedure.  In your particular case, the actual instrumentation is less important (laser, vaser, etc.) than the technique.

Boris M. Ackerman, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Procedures to Tighten Neck Skin

+1

There are a few options you can look into that may fix issues with your neck. You can consider either liposuction or Ultherapy which are both great solutions. Ultherapy uses ultrasound therapy to tighten the muscles and tissues in the face that begin to sag with age. I would recommend seeing a couple of board-certified facial plastic surgeons and seeing what your options are for your specific neck.

Carlo Honrado, MD, FACS

Neck

+1

There are many options to address your condition.  Weight loss of 10-15 lbs. might help but probably won't take care of the sagging skin.  Liposuction with Smartlipo of the neck or this more effective laser called Precision TX; would be the next suitable option.  The next option would entail an open approach to address the deeper fat compartment and skin in the form of a neck suspension.  You are too young for a more formal face and neck lift type of surgery. 

Theodore Diktaban, MD, FACS

Liposuction of the neck

+1

Weight loss would definitely change to contour to some degree as your skin quality looks pretty good and you are relatively young. However many patients have a more genetically determined fatty collection under the chin that can respond well to liposuction. In some cases a patient may benefit also from a more extensive liposuction with muscle ( platysma) tightening. I doubt any external treatments will make a substantial change in your neck contour..

G. Wesley Price, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction of the neck

+1

While liposuction is an excellent tool in many areas of the body, I generally find the results of liposuction in the neck to be less complete than patients desire. In your case, a trial of modest weight loss is a great idea. If you can't maintain the weight loss or are underwhelmed with the results, and open cervicoplasty or neck lift through a small incision under your chin would provide excellent results. In many men with full necks, much of the excess fat is deep to the platysma muscle, and not accessible during liposuction. Direct excision of the fat in this area, by itself, can create a wonderful result if the skin quality is good, which in a man in your age range it usually is.

Patti A. Flint, MD

There are multiple variables contributing to a saggy neck.

+1

Hemorrhoidal cream will probably not be efficacious however don't despair.  Firstly, if you have a recessive chin, a chin implant can create additional support for the neck and muscle drape.  Secondly, your youth and male gender make limited liposuction of the submental area a great option.  Thirdly, if you don't want to consider surgery, definitely look into Ultherapy.  In my early experience, the skin tightening has been most satisfactory in younger, darker complected and male patients, who seem to stimulate collagen faster and with more dramatic results.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD