What Can Be Done to Fix my Eye Asymmetry (Orbital)? (photo)

I am 18 years old, male, and wondering what can be done to reduce the asymmetries present in my eyes. Is this due to a difference in orbital positioning? I am currently on the path to undergo jaw surgery and cheekbone alterations to make my left side (on the picture) match the right. If analyzed closely my left eye is bulgier than my right. What can be done to alleviate the asymmetry? Also, is brow surgery necessary? (I have minor muscular torticollis and maybe plagiocephaly)

Eyelid asymmetry is normal

+3
Some degree of facial asymmetry is normal. There is nothing wrong with your eyes that would require surgical intervention. I agree with others that an obsession about perfect asymmetry is unhealthy and that you would do well to see a psychologist or psychiatrist prior to undergoing ANY surgery to discuss your concerns.

Orbital asymmetry

+1

Looking at your 2-D photos, it is difficult to appreciate significant difference.  If deemed necessary, there are options to improve symmetry between the two orbits.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye Asymmetry

+1

Asymmetry of the face is the norm, not the exception. Nothing we do with surgery can make you symmetric. You, however, because of your plagiocephaly, have more of a reason to possibly have asymmetry than the average person. You also have more other things to worry about. Take care of the jaw, any problems with the plagiocephaly and the torticollis and don’t worry about the minor orbital differences. Because of the other problems you are probably looking exceptionally critically and finding problems that no one else will see.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Answered you other question. You have a minor degree of asymmetry.

+1

Your issue is so minor that I suspect that you suffer a psychological condition called body dysmorphic disorder.  Only an assessment by a psychologist or psychiatrist can confirm that you have this thought disorder.  However, if your eye asymmetry is as minor as your jaw issue, then you should probably not be having jaw surgery.  Many times individuals with BDD do not communicate well with their potential cosmetic surgeons.  This leads to disappointing surgery that do not effectively address your concerns.  I strongly advise you to approach surgery very carefully and seriously consider seeking a psychological assessment and possibly therapy to help you understand how you see yourself.

No surgery will make your eyes better since they are fine to start with

+1
Please understand that there are limitations to syrgery. You have minimal asymmetry that does not require surgery. You will be very unhappy with the results since the asymmetry falls within the normal range. We do not have your full face pictures and I would question the other surgeries that you plan to have. I would strongly recommend evaluation by board certified plastic surgeons. You do not need eye surgery.
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Body image and cosmetic surgery

+1

ou need to be evaluated for BDD before having any surgery. If you have it and do not get it treated before surgery the results will be disastrous. Your concerns are way out of porportion to the photos & that is a red flag for BDD.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.