How Can I Fix my Droopy, Uneven Eyelid? (photo)

As you can see in the picture, my eyelids are uneven. The eye on the left has a droopy eyelid, and also folds differently. This is uncomfortable as my eye seems to be catching on itself whenever I blink. It is especially bad when I am tired. Another option would be to fix the opposite eyelid, as the skin above it seems to sag. What are my options for correcting this? Thank you for your help.

Correcting droopy uneven eyelid

+1

There is significant asymmetry with respect to fat pads and skin of the upper eyelids.  This can be addressed by performing blepharoplasty on the left eyelid.  Trimming a slight amount of excess skin and removing a conservative amount of both fat pads on the left lid will make it look very similar to the right.  Many patients have asymmetries of the eyelids just like yours.

Uneven Appearance of the Eyelids

+1

It does appear you have some mild ptosis (drooping). Although it appears that a blepharoplasty will improve the uneven appearance nicely, I would recommend seeing a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area so they can see you in person. This will help them determine the exact cause of the ptosis so they can tell you all of your options. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

You have mild right upper eyelid ptosis. The best option may be to do nothing but your other two options are right upper eyelid ptosis surgery or left upper eyelid blepharoplasty (latter to help make the upper eyelid platforms more even), but I would not recommend the latter procedure since you are a male. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymetry- blepharoplasty

+1

Eyelid asymetry is common but is usually more subtle than what I see with you.  When the asymetry is the result of differences of excess skin or differences in the position of the supratarsal crease (the tiny crease that is where the eyelid fold begins), then blepharoplasty surgery will mostly correct the problem.  When the asymetry is the result of differences in the position of the eyelid itself (eyelid ptosis) the procedure to correct it is totally different.  Generally, surgery will mostly correct the asymetry, but some more subtle asymetry may remain.  I have provided a link to a patient from my website with marked asymetry before that is mostly corrected after surgery.  I hope this helps.

John Bitner, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis and your crease

+1

Thank you for the inquiry.

you anatomy and your issues are not that unique.  The position of your eyelid and the position of the crease of your eyelid is influenced by the point at which a tendon called the levator aponeurosis attaches to the under surface of the skin.your ptosis is mild and so a surgeon's ability to correct it is intuitively easy. However, such small differences between two eyes can be tougher to versus a patient with more dramatic ptosis. However, decrease position can be rearranged for you and the upper eyelid can be raised and the ptosis corrected. one of the more reliable ways to do this would be with an external approach. This can be done under local anesthesia and should be performed by an eyelid surgeon who is very experienced in ptosis surgery.

I hope that in the attached video are helpful

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mild ptosis (droopy lid)

+1

Jared, you have some mild eyelid ptosis, or drooping.  The crease of the eyelid is formed by the location where the levator muscle attaches to the end of the eyelid. This is also influenced some by the amount of skin present on the eyelids, but in a younger person this is not usually the main factor.  Simply removing skin from one side will not even out the eyelid height. The position of the eyelid muscle (levator) must also be adjusted to achieve a symmetric eyelid height and symmetric crease.  Surgeons who specialize in eyelid surgery (oculoplastic surgeons) are well trained to perform this surgery.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

This should turn out well for you.

+1

I agree with the above post:  your eyebrows appear to be in a good position, but you have excess tissue in the left upper eyelid in comparison to the right.  I also think your left eye is larger (usually there is some asymmetry in the size of the eye), and nothing can be done about that.  Just bear that in mind when you are evaluating your results.

There are good board certified plastic surgeons in your area that are listed on the Utah Plastic Surgery Society website.  I would recommend going in for a consultation before you try to decide what should be done.  That is best discussed during your visit with your doctor.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Uneven eyelids

+1

Thank you for your question about uneven eyelids. My thoughts -

• Your left upper lid has more fat and the lid crease is lower than your right.
  • Your brow position is good, the lids seem to lie at the same level. 
  • An upper lid blepharoplasty of your left upper lid, to remove excess skin and fat, and set the crease at the same level as the other eye (this requires attachment of the skin to the levator muscle) will even things nicely.
  • Local anesthesia, out patient and a fast recovery is the norm. Hope this helps!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD