Should I fix my crooked nose during sinus and deviated septum surgery?

My nose is crooked. I'm getting sinus surgery because of an ongoing sinus infection that medicine has not cured. I'm also getting my deviated septum straightened at the same time. My husband said that I should check in to getting my nose straightened since I will already be under. As far as I know my ENT is not a plastic surgeon. Is this a simple procedure? Would it be something that any ENT could perform? Thanks!

Simple? no.

+2

I would recommend if you want a rhinoplasty, find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. While ENT surgeons are all trained in sinus surgery and septoplasty, rhinoplasty is a cosmetic procedure that is one of the most difficult to master in our field and requires experience for consistent, excellent results. If your sinuses are actively infected, many rhinoplasty surgeons would advise NOT performing cosmetic alterations of the nose at the same time. Good luck!

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sinus surgery with rhinoplasty

+1

jeemjam, in general this isn't a good idea for several reasons. First of all fixing a twisted nose is one of the more difficult things for a rhinoplasty specialist. Ideally you would have a very experienced rhinoplasty specialist handle this separately. I would be very surprised if your ENT physician is skilled at both sinus surgery and rhinoplasty. He may be trained to perform both but having the appropriate experience may be a different story. Good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

The sinus surgery should be done separately from the rhinoplasty due to infection concerns.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Septorhinoplasty at Time of Sinus Surgery

+1

Some ENT surgeons have a lot of experience with rhinoplasty surgery. If yours does not I would suggest you have the sinus operation and then have the septum straightened and the rhinoplasty done by a rhinoplasty specialist at a later date.

Sinus surgery, septoplasty and repair of crooked nose all done simultaneously

+1

It is very acceptable to undergo all 3 nasal surgeries simultaneously under one anesthetic. Deviated septum repair and sinus surgery is billed to the patient's medical insurance. The crooked nose surgery will need to be paid for by the patient himself. Look for an ENT/ facial plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in functional and cosmetic nasal surgery for best results. See the link below for more information on sinus surgery and for our rhinoplasty photo gallery

Sinus Surgery, Septoplasty, and Rhinoplasty at the Same Time

+1

If you are serious about having a rhinoplasty to correct your external nose, I would highly recommend that you do the sinus surgery first without doing the septoplasty. Since you're doing the sinus surgery to correct sinus infection, you do not want to do anything else where you're opening tissue planes that might get infected. You certainly also do not want to do the septoplasty before you have the rhinoplasty done. Frequently, particularly when correcting a crooked nose, cartilage will be needed to support the nose and correct the deviation. The best place to

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Is Rhinoplasty the same as septoplasty or sinus surgery?

+1

Definitions first:

Rhinoplasty is a complex operation that reshapes the nose. It depends on precision, removing or reshaping or adding as necessary to achieve the best result.

Septoplasty is a procedure that either removes or reshapes a crooked septum.

Sinus surgery may be one or a number of procedures that "clean-out" or improve drainage from the different sinus cavities that drain into the nose.

Sinus surgery may have no impact on the structure of the nose, and so may not improve or change the "crooked nose". BUT: a crooked nose with obstruction to normal air flow can cause sinus infections. Therefore it is critically important to identify why the sinus infections are occuring. It may be that fixing the crooked nose will improve breathing and the sinus infections may go away.

The reason you want to see a board-certified plastic surgeon with expertise in nose surgery is that all of these needs: sinus infections, crooked nose, probable crooked septum are all related. What you really want is a pretty, straight nose that breathes easily, and of course no sinus infections.

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon