Possible to Fix my Asymmetrical Eyes? (photo)

I know there is difficulty when it comes to matters of this subject. Is it possible ? If so, How difficult?

Options for asymmetric eyes

+2

Hello eyedude,

You do have treatment options. . .some are easy and straight forward some more involved.  An examination would allow me better advice to take this for what its worth.  We'll go from easy to less easy:

1.  If the facial skeleton is asymmetric (it appears to be a bit) then that has to be addressed but if it happens that the upper edge of your superior orbital rims are at about the same height, then a left upper blepharolplasty would help the appearance of asymmetry. . .maybe need a conservative brow lift on the left as well.

2.  Same situation with the upper orbital rims being even you could do the left upper bleph and add an orbital floor and orbital rim graft (either bone or synthetic).  The floor and rim graft will elevate the eye giving you added symmetry.

3.  Full craniofacial surgery to rearrange the bones around your eyes, plus the left upper blepharoplasty.  Craniofacial surgery is one of my favorite cases to do but let me just tell  you, you're in for about 10 to 14 days of healing with no guarantees of the outcome.  

I think number 2 is for you.  Did you acquire this or were you born this way?  That is an important question and should be addressed at the time of consultation.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD 

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible to Fix my Asymmetrical Eyes?

+1

It is certainly possible to address some of the asymmetries that you have.  You should consult an Oculoplastic surgeon to go over the possible procedures that can help you.  A lot will depend on what you want to achieve.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Treatment Options For Orbital Dystopia (Asymmetry)

+1

There is a clear mild orbital dystopia of your left eye. The first question is whether this should be addressed by orbital augmentation with accompanying eyelid and brow procecures or simply perform eyelid and brow procedures alone to help camouflage it. I would get a 3-D CT scan and see how significant the bony orbital asymmetry is and whether orbital floor augmentation is worth the effort. This information would factor in to help makie this important treatment decision. As a general rule in my experience, orbital dystopias in the range of 5 to 7mms or or less can be improved by orbital floor implants and adjusting the surrounding lid and brow tissues. Beyond that the effort becomes less successful and many not be worth a skeletal-based implant effort.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Eye asymmetries

+1

I recommend a left upper lid blepharoplasty to even out the lid creases. The left globe sits in a lower position, this is much harder to correct. It involves orbital floor implants.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric eyes

+1

Your posted photos show more than the average asymmetry. The narrow view photo from only a frontal view does not allow complete assessment  but I suspect that there are bone as well as soft tissue (eybrow and eyelid) contributions to the asymmetry. Soft tissue sugery will get you closer to symmetry but cannot achieve complete symmetry. Bone surgery has a poor benefit risk ratio so you will not find many if any surgeons to do it.

Also you will likely need some surgery on the right as well as the left in order to make them more symmetric. Some combination of brow lif, upper eyelid blepharoplasty and canthopexy should suffice.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Frankly not really.

+1

Your left eye is set lower in the facial skeleton than on the right side.  This type of asymmetry is pretty common.  Most people would go through life blissfully unaware of this type of difference.  The fact that you are aware of it does not mean you should go out and fix it.  However, you might consider a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon to assess the brow and eyelid positions and determine is there is some way to address your asymmetry short of having a craniofacial surgeon reposition the orbits with a 13 hour surgery.