Is There a Way to Fix Heavy Nasolabial Folds on Young Women?

Hi, I am 25, 5'6", 115 lbs (skinny), but suffer from heavy nasolabial folds. Is this because I'm fat, or is there something wrong with my face? Is there a way to fix this? Should I do rhinoplasty?

Laugh lines - nasolabial folds

+6

These are not the usual nasolabial folds. They do not extend from the outer corners of the nose to the outer corners of the mouth. They only extend half way. I suspect that they are mostly due to receded bone at the edge of the nasal aperture which is part of the Asian facial bone structure rather than the usual aging changes of the face. This may mean the best treatment is not the usual dermal filler injection or the usual place of filler injection. Before deciding on an implant to simulate a more advanced nasal aperture (a permanent solution) vs. dermal filler to the upper half of the fold (a temporary solution) you might try having saline injected into the usual area of dermal filler and then in the area where an implant would be placed. The saline would last a few years and simulate the options available to you so you can make an informed choice.

Look within to the answer for your nasolabial folds

+4

Midfacial volume deficiency is a more common among some Asian populations.  This is due to a lack of bony support  in the midface surrounding the structures that support the nose and medial cheeks.  Although sometimes surgical implants are offered as treatment, I often employ an intraoral treatment of Sculptra Aesthetic to build up areas underneath the nose and gumline to support the cheeks, and soften the appearance of the nasolabial folds.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Heavy Nasolabial Folds

+3

There are a number of different options to make prominent Nasolabial folds less dramatic.  These include surgery, minimally invasive procedures and non-invasive procedures.  Start with a consultation at a plastic surgeon's office.

As for your particular features, I don't really see anything to be concerned about.  You have high, full cheeks that are creating the Nasolabial fold but it is not at all unattractive.  Your nose appears to fit your facial features reasonably well.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Heavy Nasolabial fold solutions.

+2

Generally most patients begin with fillers prior to surgery. Mild folds may see improvement with one vial whereas moderate folds may require 2 or more.

Surgical alternatives include fat grafting and/or midface lifts.

+2

Listen to Dr Rand or try Fat grafting with Stem Cell Activate PRP. As for a rhinoplasty that is only going to improve your nose not the nasolabial folds. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Treating nasolabial folds

+2

From your photo the best way in my opinion to treat you not that heavy folds is with Radiesse which could last 1-3 years.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Treating nasolabial folds in the 20s

+1

For the nasolabial folds, a dermal filler such as radiesse or juvederm would be the appropriate and cost effective starting point for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Nasolabial Folds

+1

Most patients begin with filler injections. Juvederm, Radiesse, or Restylane to name a few. Consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic or Plastic Surgeon to determine which filler would be best to address your concerns. Make certain the surgeon you choose is well trained in the art of injections.

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon