Stretched Skin Above Navel Post-Tummy Tuck - What Can I Do?

I'm 7 weeks postop. My PS said there's maybe a little of swelling left. But the rest will stay as is! He said because I had stretched skin above my navel, he wasn't able to remove it all.So now it's below my navel,with no elasticity it's not able to hold in my fat. Because of the hundreds of B&A photo's I've seen of people worse than I was, this is hard to believe.I had a blood transfusion after my surgery.He nearly killed me!So Ill want to get it fixed by a dif Dr.How much $

Tummy tuck problems

+3

I would urge you to seek out an experienced plastic surgeon, certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Be sure he has a lot of experience and view his work.

This is not a good result.  You have had issues that lead me to believe that during the repair, some surprises may be encountered, therefore, the need for experience.

The reasons you cite for your result do not make sense to me.  It can be fixed.

sek

Swelling after tummy tuck

+2

Sorry your experience so far was not what you expected. As others said, waiting is your best option. The results tend to get better after 6 months and even up to 1 year. So save your money on any revision and wait. Your plastic surgeon may just want to make sure you don't have a fluid collection (seroma) under that bulge. If you do need a revision in teh future, removing just a little more skin may be all that is needed, not a full tummy tuck.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Timing of post-TT revision

+2

I agree with my colleagues that it is best to wait six months before revising a TT.  The swelling takes that long to subside completely.  The tissues are still stiff and less responsive to revision when they are swollen.  That said, I don't think your results will improve a great deal. I would get the opinion of at least one other qualified plastic surgeon, but he/she will likely charge you for a full abdominoplasty.  You should not need the muscles tightened again so that may save you a little.  Be very specific about what aspects of your results you are unhappy about to avoid disappointment.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Revision after tummy tuck

+2

Before undergoing any revision, you should allow your tissues to settle at least for 3 and preferably 6 months.  At that time, any residual swelling and inflammation will have resolved allowing improved healing after any revision.  You likely will need at least a mini-tummy tuck but some of that will depend on what you would like improved.  Cost will vary depending on what needs to be done. 

Naveen Setty, MD

Questioning a poor tummy tuck result?

+2

I know you need to heal for 4-6 months but I am not enthusiastic about the result I am seeing here.  I think you will probably need some kind of revision but not until all swelling has subsided and the tissues have softened.  At that time, your expectations need to be carefully evaluated so you don't have any more disappointments.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Unhappy Post Tummy Tuck

+2

I would recommend waiting 6 months prior to any revision surgery to allow the tissue swelling to settle.     It is important to be safe and cautious during any revision surgery to minimize further complications or issues.    If you seek a second surgery, you are likely to pay full tummy tuck price for your geographic area.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy tuck revisions

+2

If you wish to have a revision of your tummy tuck by a different surgeon, you will most likely have to pay a full tummy tuck fee because a full tummy tuck may be necessary.  Alternatively, just a mini-tummytuck may be all that is necessary, depending and what exactly you want to have fixed.

When you do go and see your next surgeon, make sure you are seeing a board certified plastic surgeon

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

TT revision

+1

Your best bet is to find a board certified plastic surgeon by the ABPS.  He will need to examine you carefully and discuss revision after sufficient time has passed.  I wouldn't be surprised if you need to wait a total of 6-9 months.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Stretched skin above the belly button after a tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure to contour the abdomen, create a tight waist, and remove extra skin, fat, and stretch marks. As every patient is different and has different concerns, so should every tummy tuck be different. Please keep in mind that you are still early in the recovery process. In our practice, we recommend that patients continue to use compression garments for up to 4 to 6 months after the surgery. This is because we rely significantly on liposuction to create the contours of the new abdomen and that these garments help the patient manage their edema and reach their final result more quickly. At this stage, your best bet is to work with your plastic surgeon and follow their instructions to manage the postoperative swelling and reach your final goal.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Unacceptable results from tummy tuck (PHOTOS)

+1

It is difficult to state what is the advised treatment course without an examination . It is my impression you will need a full tummy ttuck but ths may leave you with vertical scar as well as a horizontal if the umbilical incision cannot be competely transposed