How to Fix Face After Chin Implant Removal

10 years ago, I had a chin implant along with liposuction on the neck. Due to an my body rejected it, had to be removed. Now, my face is asymmetrical. The left side of my face is fuller; therefore I have a chipmunk cheek with a deep laugh line. The right side; the cheek is contoured, but has a light marionette line.

I'm thinking either microliposuction to drain the fat from the left cheek to match the right. I'm also thinking of seeing 2 facial reconstruction plastic surgeons for advice. What do you think? Thank you.

Facial asymmetry

+3
Without photos or seeing you in consultation, my answers will be limited.
Our faces are not symmetric. Sculptures and painters strive for symmetry but some of the most beautiful faces we see on screen and in publications are asymmetric. This is also a matter of degree of asymmetry, of course.
I would seek out a plastic surgeon who specializes in facial aesthetic surgery. I seriously doubt the degree of asymmetry you have would require facial reconstruction. We have many techniques and products which can be used to address your concerns from minimally invasive to full on surgery.
Good luck. I hope this was helpful.

Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Options for facial asymmetry

+1

Another chin implant can always be placed if you have a weak chin profile. We do place patients on antibiotics to prevent infection. Just because there was an infection on the last implant ten years ago does not mean you will get infected this time. Asymmetries on the face can be addressed through temporary injections of hyaluronic acid such as Restylane and Juvederm. Larger irregularities can be augmented with one-sided cheek and mandibular implants.

Fixing face after chin implant removal

+1

You are on the right track. Go see the surgeons for an in detail review. Since no photos were posted we can not give an accurate assessment  of the issues. Good Luck!

Improving facial contour

+1

Dear Schmo,

It is difficult to assess your situation without a picture. It has been a decade since the implant removal and your tissues have undergone some change. Probably due to the nature aging process. There many options to address lower face contour issues (fillers, liposuction, facial implants, bone grafts, face lift, etc). It is best to visit a board certified plastic surgeon. I hope this helps.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Chin Implant

+1

After 10 years of having the chin implant, your body CANNOT reject the implant.

You had a complication, infection, capsular contracture, displacement.

Removing the chin implant should not affect your cheeks. Chin implant removal will or may affect the chin and your profile, but not your cheeks.

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Chin implant removal does not cause facial asymmetry.

+1

I agree with Dr. Aldea. See an experienced facelift surgeon to evaluate your problem after he is able to examine you. He will give you the best answer to your problem.

Facial Asymmetry after Chin implant Removal

+1

Without the benefit of photographs all comments must be general.

Chin implants do NOT cause cheek deformities. Some chin implants cause resorption of the chin bone but they cannot impact on higher facial anatomy. My guess is that like 99.95 of people you had a pre-existing facial asymmetry that became more obvious with aging and upon more intense scrutiny by you looking at your face after the implant removal.

In general adding volume to the face is preferable to removing it (liposuction). When seeing your surgeons take photographs of what you looked like before the implant and just before its removal. That would be very helpful.

Good Luck.

Dr. P. Aldea

Chin Implant removal should not affect the symmetry of your upper face.

+1

I'm not sure why your left cheek is fuller than your right after your chin implant was removed. Your photos would help us see the situation.

In general, I do not think that liposuction of your left cheek is a good idea. Depending on the amount of overall fat in your face, you may want to increase the volume of your right cheek to restore symmetry.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need pictures and physical examination

+1

Every bodies face has some degree of asymmetry that becomes more noticeable with aging and loss fat. The removal of the implant should cause much change to your facial structure. There are few simple option to consider before extensive surgery like 3D image evaluation,fillers and possible fat grafting.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after chin implant removal

+1

From what you describe, there are findings that must be examined by your treating doctor before they or anyone could make a recommendation, so please schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Ronald Shelton, MD