Will Insurance Cover Hump Removal During Septoplasty?

I'm considering getting my deviated sceptum fixed next week and I know cosmetic is not covered by insurance for my tip and all which i dont want anyway...but will my dr. be able to remove my hump and make my nose just look a lil thinner while he is fixing it and since he has to re break it anyway,and have insurance cover it?

Insurance Policies and Rhinoplasty

+3

Insurance is very strict and the time under anesthesia and in the operating room that is not devoted to correcting your nasal airway obstruction or deviated septum will not  be covered. Ethically and legally, this portion needs to be paid out of pocket. Judging from your photo, your facial aesthetics and balance would benefit from natural nasal shaping. In my opinion, if you are undergoing a procedure , going under anesthesia and going through a recovery period, it makes sense to perform a cosmetic rhinoplasty at the same time. A major advantage to this is that your surgeon can use portions of your septal cartilage to shape and maintain the strength of your new nasal shape whle the deviation is also corrected.

The link below discusses some common answers and analysis of different nose types. All have also had a septoplasty for a deviated septum. Also remember that just because your surgeon can correct a nasal deviation, doesn't mean that he or she is adept and has talent in the very meticulous task of natural and effective nasal shaping with a cosmetic rhinoplasty.

I hope this was helpful.

Insurance and Septorhinoplasty

+1

No cosmetic procedures such as a hump removal will be covered by insurance. It is important to speak with your surgeon, as he/she will be able to provide you with the best advice regarding insurance and your surgery. Thank you, and best of luck to you.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Septoplasty and simultaneous rhinoplasty

+1

While you may be able to reduce some of your expenses of having a rhinoplasty done at the same time as a septoplasty for breathing problems, it is unlikely that either your surgeon or the facility or the anesthesia or insurance that you use will pay for the rhinoplasty portion of the surgery unless they also consider that medically necessary, at least in my experience over 17 years.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Insurance Will Not Cover Hump Removal

+1

Based on your frontal photograph and on the assumption that you are having trouble breathing, a septorhinolasty will help to address your functional and cosmetic concerns.  Although a Septoplasty can be performed in isolation without changing the appearance of your nose, any cosmetic changes to your nasal profile or tip are considered cosmetic.  Often, a Rhinoplasty requires a series of maneuvers, because for every action taken, there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Ultimately, one want the nose to be harmonious with the aesthetics of the face.  Therefore, Rhinoplasty is often more complicated than "just" a hump reduction or tip refinement.  Performing one portion of the procedure without taking further steps may even make the nose appear worse or incongruous with your facial aesthetics.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Insurance will often cover a portion of the functional component of rhinoplasty

+1

Your insurance may cover some (and occasionally all ) of the functional component of your rhinoplasty depending on your particular plan.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Hump Reduction Rhinoplasty Requires Care to Preserve Breathing

+1

Yes, a hump is generally considered cosmetic and a deviated septum is a medical issue if it causes significant breathing problems.

Preserving the function of the nose is important with any nasal surgery, and is especially important with reduction of a nasal hump (or what I call a reduction rhinoplasty).

There are three main factors that can cause blockage or obstruction of the nose:

1. Anatomic blockage = something in the way such as a bent septum or an enlarged turbinate
  2. Reactive tissues = enlargement of the nasal lining tissues as when we have an allergy or the common cold
  3. Functional blockage = collapse of the nose's passageways while breathing in.

Functional blockage can be caused by reduction rhinoplasty, and preventing this is an important component of any reduction rhinoplasty. Most commonly I will use cartilage taken from the nasal septum to space-apart and strengthen the apex of the nose after reducing the nose (this is the reason to do the surgeries together, and why it can be more difficult at a later time).

Hope this helps

Nick Slenkovich, MD FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Insurance and rhinoplasty

+1

Often the insurance company will only cover the septal work unless it was due to trauma. If this is your nose without trauma you should expect to pay for the cosmetic improvement.

Insurance will not cover cosmetic nasal surgery.

+1

No kind of septal or turbinate surgery (functional or reconstructive breathing surgery) requires breaking the nasal bones or hump removal. The latter is considered cosmetic, and your insurance will NOT cover this portion of the procedure. Thus, you will get a (rather large) bill for the "cosmetic portion" of your nose surgery. Since this is usually done at a hospital or outpatient surgical center, you will be billed at "hospital rates," which are substantially higher than "cosmetic only" fees at an accredited in-office cosmetic surgical facility.

For my patients undergoing cosmetic nasal surgery, I actually perform septal repositioning, septoplasty, and/or turbinectomies/turbinoplasties to restore or maintain the appropriate airway without additional charges (since my office no longer accepts insurance). Part of the reason we no longer accept insurance is that patients in your situation think they will have a reduced cost if any breathing surgery is needed, when in fact their bill is almost always higher than if they had just paid for the cosmetic surgery (and had the breathing issues dealt with either by insurance or at no additional charge as I do). Of course, when they try to get cosmetic surgery covered (or partially covered) by insurance and then fail, it somehow ends up being the "surgeon's fault." Insurance companies know how this works; you can rely on them making the cosmetic portion a "not covered" expense that you will be responsible for! Anything other than this wold be considered insurance fraud and should not be attempted!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Nasal humps can be removed at the same time as rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, Insurance covers only the functional aspect of surgery, which is the deviated septum. Insurance companies know very well what is and what does't qualify for reimbursement. Sometimes a doctor might "throw in" a hump removal at the same time, but not usually the most accomplished surgeons. You should decide what you want then seek out the best surgeon you can. You have one nose and should do it right the first time.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Rhinoplasty: Common Questions

+1

Correction of your septum is covered by insurance if there is the impairment of normal airflow. Alteration of the dorsum, making the nose thinner, etc., are cosmetic procedures that insurance does not cover. It is best to review the case with your physician and even postpone the surgery if you wish to have the cosmetic procedures performed, but are unable to financially commit at this time.

Best regards,
JMR

James M. Ridgway, MD, FACS