Possible to Fix a Collapsed Tip + Saddled Bridge Cartilage at the Same Time?

I need a primary rhinoplasty for a deviated and collapsed tip (septum is likely deviated as well) and my bridge cartilage is also noticeably collapsed/saddled as well. In general, how much of a chance is there for restoring my nose back its original appearance if I were to bring in photos to the surgeon before the trauma occurred? I keep reading that such a situation is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to correct and am pretty worried that it can't' be fixed, thanks for any replies.

Fixing collapsed tip and saddled bridge at the same time

+1

Saddling defect of the nasal supra tip area of the nose can be repaired through augmentation rhinoplasty with the patients own septal cartilage.  The deviated nasal septum cartilage can be harvested and removed to straighten the septum and improve the airflow through the nose and take a piece of that cartilage and insert it up into the dorsum in the saddled area.  It is also important to bring your original pictures of both side profile projection of the nose and frontal views prior to any traumatic injuries that were received.  You need to have realistic expectations going into this type of reconstructive surgery and make sure you find a surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty procedures in their career and have dealt with very similar issues to what is being described.  

Rhinoplasty for saddle bridge after traumatic injury to the nose

+1

Without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to say what could be done or what your options are. The saddle bridge after trauma is not too different from congenital bridge cartilage deficit seen in Asians and African-Americans. Both require grafting to the bridge. The main difference is in the amount of material needed for grafting. The amount is usually less for saddle bridge after trauma. I do not know exactly what you mean by collapsed tip. Normally the tip cartilages are attached to the septal cartilage by ligaments. These ligaments can be disrupted by a traumatic blow. The treatment in these cases is to reconstitute the effect of the ligaments by suturing the tip cartilages to the septal cartilage.

Whatever the current problem(s) is/are there is no way to go back in time to what everything looked like before the injury. Even a car door replaced after a collision never fits or feels exactly as it did prior to the accident. Despite that surgery can offer significant improvements for patients in this condition.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD