Can You Fix Breast Sagging with Just a Implant ? If So Does the Implant Have to Be Large Considering I'm Already a D/DD?

Breast implants alone will not correct severe sagging.

+2

Implants will not lift the entire breast, or correct severely sagging breasts, they can improve the overall appearance of sagging. Patients who are self-conscious about breast sagging are encouraged to consider the cosmetic procedure breast lift.

Breast Lift with an Implant

+1
This is a common question as we all want to minimize the incisions and scars if at all possible. There are several types of lifts that can be used to treat the specific needs of each patient.

In your particular case it is difficult to know without seeing a picture or evaluating you in person. For patients that want to minimize their scarring I do what is called a periareolar mastopexy augmentation. This is where the scars from the lift are limited to just around the areola. This type of lift in combination with an implant can give the correct patient a very attractive breast with minimal scarring.

I would make sure that you spend some time with your plastic surgeon going over sizes and your aesthetic desires. You should also consider taking him or her pictures to make sure that you are both on the same page about the results you are hoping to achieve.

I would also discuss this with a board certified plastic surgeon that performs the periareolar mastopexy augmentation procedure frequently.

Johnny Franco, MD

Sometimes

+1
95% of my patients who have been properly selected for breast augmentation without a lift to address sagging are satisfied with the amount of lift they achieve with implants. The right implants and technique can help you address mild to moderate sagging with breast augmentation alone, by taking into account the size you'd like to be and the amount of lift you require during the pre-surgery planning process.

These three things are considered to help give you the extra lift you require to make your breasts “perkier” without mastopexy:

1) During your breast augmentation, the breast implants will be placed directly under the breast tissue and above the chest wall muscle (in the sub-mammary position).

2) The best breast implants to use for a perkier result contain silicone gel that is more cohesive, such as the Allergan Inspira Truform 2 (formerly known as Soft-Touch gel). These implants are slightly firmer to maintain their shape better, but still retain their natural feel.

3) The shape of your breast implants should have more, rather than less, projection. Breast implants with a smaller base width will make your breasts project more forward from your chest wall and body, creating a more prominent contour. “Profile” is a synonym for projection, therefore look for high profile implants.

Generally speaking, larger breast implants can also help give a better lift, sometimes raising the position of the nipple by one or two centimetres.

Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to find out whether you are a suitable candidate. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Will breast implants lift a sagging breast

+1

I am afraid that a breast implant will not lift you, it might give an optical illusion of a lift for a short period of time, but once it settles in, the new breast and implant mound will be low on your ribcage. You might need to consider a breast lift, with or without an implant, but if you are a D, I think you likely have enough of your own tissue.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast lift with or without augmentation

+1

It is difficult to determine without a photo what your best option is, but if you're sagging or asymmetrical, and are looking for perkiness, as well as bigger breasts, implants may give you the answer. However, if you don’t want to be bigger, then a breast lift may be a better alternative. A breast lift raises droopy breasts from one to several inches and excess skin is removed. If you want to go bigger, and also be perkier, it may be possible to have implants placed to fill out the sagging skin. The great thing about these techniques is that they can now be done with minimal scarring and performed as outpatient procedures without the need for general anesthesia!

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Breast augmentation and sagging breasts

+1

Breast augmentation aby themselves can sometimes lift breasts a small amount.  However, breast implants alone are not the best option to lift breasts.  If your breasts are already large, placing implants will only make the situation worse.  A formal breast lift (mastopexy) is usually needed to get the best result.

Naveen Setty, MD

Breast Lift with Breast Implant?

+1

Only in certain cases can implants be used to give a slight lift to the breasts. In the majority of women who need lifts, using implants alone will give the breasts what we call a "Snoopy Deformity." The breast will look like Snoopy's head in profile. This is because the breast tissue will hang off the breast implant instead of being centered over the implant.

It is difficult to speak specifically about what procedure you need without examining you, but the fact that you are a D/DD and need a lift, I doubt using implants alone will give you the look you want. The primary job of breast implants is to increase breast size which doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Dr. Babak Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Implants should not be used to correct large, saggy breasts.

+1

Although a small degree of sagginess can be corrected with implants, large ptotic (saggy) breasts will need mastopexy (breast lift). Often times, patients are afraid of mastopexy scars and request augmentation when in fact they need lift. With large implants, breasts will soon saggier than before. You should answer if you want larger breasts or perkier breasts. Given your current size of D/DD, you will have attractive size and shape with breast lift.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast Augmentation with DD breasts

+1

Breast Augmentation surgery treats small breast size.  It is not meant to correct primary problems of shape.    

If you are already a double DD, you will definitely need a lift to correct your shape.   Depending on the size you want to be, a small implant may be considered in conjunction with the lift.   

In your case, an implant alone would only increase your breast cup size and stretch the skin more worsening your breast sagging, like a rock in a sock.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Implants and sagging breasts

+1
Implants can sometimes help with sagging breasts. If you have a small amount of sagging you can put an implant above the muscle and or place an anatomic / teardrop implant. In a large breast this really doesn't work. It's really not a good idea to chase a hanging breast by putting in a larger implant. Finallly an implant is never a replacement for a lift.

Michael Weinberg, MD