How Can I Fix my Big Front Teeth?

Hi, I guess I'm just looking for some professional opinions. I recently got my braces off. The main concern I had when I went to get them on was that my two front teeth looked huge compared to all the others, like bunny teeth. I was advised by my orthodontist that I wouldn't have this problem once the braces were off. Obviously this wasn't true and I am very unsatisfied because I paid a lot. I feel like they are too big, and they sort of "club" instead of being smooth. What are my options now?

My front teeth look too big

+1

Looking at your picture it sure looks like the two front teeth are disproportionately large!  It should be possible to do some "slenderizing" of these teeth by shaving off some of the enamel....Done correctly, this doesn't hurt and doesn't cause more decay.  I do this frequently and it sure makes things look a lot better

Saint Louis Orthodontist

Fixing Big front teeth

+1

I am so sorry, you went through treatment for one reason and that reason wasn't fixed to your expectation. It sounds to me like you and your doctor had a disconnect. This is a patient and doctor's worst nightmare!!! You pay lots of money for treatment and put your faith in the doctor. You trusted they had heard why you were seeking treatment and are ultimately dissatisfied or even deceived. The doctor has a consultation to specifically hear why your concerns and formulate a treatment plan to address you chief complaint. The Doctor works very hard to make things look good and healthy. At the end of all this effort, time and money neither is happy when the patient is unhappy. UGHHH!!

Not knowing what you looked like prior, it is likely your front teeth(centrals) were pinched forward of your 2 side teeth (laterals) and your doctor was focused on the bad position making them appear large. You were focused on size. There is a lot of information given to the patient in the beginning of treatment. If you had pointed out to the orthodontist that you felt it was the actually size, not position that bothered you I am sure he would have reviewed all the treatment options. Orthodontics can do very little for tooth size but can position teeth so thy look less pronounced=less rabbity.

GOOD NEWS: You have lots of options, many described above.

To get things in the IDEAL relationship to each other (perfect proportion) you will need a tooth size adjustment. (Because your centrals are larger in relationship to your laterals.) This can be done a few ways.

1) You can have the size of the central incisors reduced somewhat, and the laterals increased (with veneers on all four teeth).  In order to make it look the absolute best you should consider further orthodontic treatment to help raise the laterals up (so your gumline is esthetically ideal).

2) If you like the size of your centrals, just not how they stand out, then you would need some space created on each side of the laterals so they can be enlarger.

Many people feel larger teeth are more attractive. I suggest you look at celeb teeth and use that as your guide. Even take pictures in to your dentist. This will help ensure you are both on the same page, so you are not disappointed again in the end after another large price tag.

3) Final option is to reduce the size of the centrals, have "crown lengthening" on the laterals and veneer all four=no more ortho.

I would get the opinion of your trusted general dentist or see a prostodontist-who specializes in this. If he agrees to get the best result you should have further ortho, meet with your original ortho explain how you feel and they likely will be accommodating.

It will be worth it to have the smile you always wanted.

Chesterfield Orthodontist

Changing the look of front teeth

+1

From looking at your photo I see that part of the problem is the size difference between your central incisors and the ones next to them, the lateral incisors.  You could have the size of the central incisors reduced somewhat, and the laterals increased (with veneers on all four teeth) which could alter how they appear.  Doing this  might necessitate more orthdontic treatment though, because the laterals might need to be moved vertically, and spaces might need to be established between the front teeth.  Ask a cosmetic dentist in your area about the possiblities. 

Seattle Orthodontist

Porcelain veneers can solve issues with shape

+1

Porcelain veneers allow a dentist to change the shape, color and length of teeth.  Your case will likely require treating MORE than just the two front teeth, since if they were made more narrow, then the adjacent teeth would need to be made more wide.  Seek the opinion of an experienced cosmetic dentist for advice on how many would be needed.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/html/veneers-seattle.html

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist