Bad Permalip Result - How to Fix Lip Implant Gone Wrong?

Hello. I had a lip augmentation with Permalip two months ago. The problem is that the implant in my inferior lip seems to be placed further forward in the right side so that the lip seems a little uneven that side when I smile. However, everything is ok if I push the implant a little bit to the left side. Is there anything that I can do? How can I make the implant stay the way I want for ever? Thanks!

Permalip implant

+3

The permalip is a smooth implant and you are experiencing a common problem that occurs with any smooth implant. The only way to keep it fixed is to sew it in place or to somehow promote tissue ingrowth via other techniques which are discouraged by the manufacturer. In order to keep this in place, you would likely need an operation to sew closed the area on the right side to keep it over to the left.

PermaLip adjustment

+1

It does sound like the implant pocket is either off or the size implant you have is too short for the length of your lip and the implant is able to shift over for that reason.  I have revised a patient who came to me with a similar problem.  We placed the next size (length) implant up and the shifting problem stopped.  But, I think the best answer certainly comes after an exam from your plastic surgeon who can identify the problem.

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Fixing Positioning of Permalip Implants

+1

It sounds like the tunnel made for the implant is a little off on that side.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to open that side of your mouth and retunnel that portion into the proper position.  It is probably on the side where the tunneler pushed through, not where it entered.  Sometimes the pocket needs to be adjusted a little if the implants are off.

Jeffrey A. Jones, MD
Hendersonville Plastic Surgeon

Lip implant, lip augmentation

+1
I have used various lip implants for lip augmentation for over 20 years. The fact that you can manipulate and adjust the Permalip implant shows the implant is moving. Since neither Permalip nor Verafil implants can be sutured in place they can and will move as the lip muscles contract. You may consider seeing the plastic and cosmetic surgeon that placed the implant to remove it, wait 3-4 months and place another implant or replace with Alloderm.

One side bigger with permalip implant what to do?

+1

If it gets better with pushing it to the other side, it is likely that you have the implant more on one side than the other. I guess that is the obvious answer. The solution would be to correct that side by forcing the implant over a little more to make the lips appear better. I have a lot of experience doing this and I can assure you that you can find a solution to this. Here is a video on permalip augmentation for you to watch to learn more about the procedure:

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Permalip implant

+1

Unfortunately, permanent lip implants are not always the best thing. AS you can see they can fall out of the desired pocket.  You may be better off with fillers.