How to Fix Asymmetry and Upper Volume Loss? (photo)

I BF for 8 months. I also pumped. The right breast was always more productive than the left, and now it is much smaller. I have also lost upper volume. I am 26 and 5'2 115 lbs. I want bigger, fuller, perkier breasts with cleavage. I do not know what type of implant, placement, incision or even if a lift would be beneficial for me to consider due to the extent of damage BFing did to me. Input would be appreciated so that I do not go into an initial consultation clueless about BA.

Breast Lift And Implants For Asymmetry After Breast Feeding

+3

Thank you for your question. Your breasts look quite normal for after breast-feeding. Your asymmetry is very small and is within very normal limits compared to most women.

However a breast augmentation will certainly restore your volume and should give you a nice result. If however you want to correct the asymmetry and lift the breast to a more "perky" appearance then you will also need a breast lift.

Please see the link below for the various options that are available to you.

Regaining Full, Perky Breasts after Sagging related to Breast Feeding

+2

There is no need to be depressed nor confused. IF you were happy  with you breast volume and symmetry and just wanted to get your breasts perky again (NOT the case here...), all that would be required would have been a Breast Lift (Masyopexy). But when additional breast volume is needed in addition to a lift, the best way to approach your situation would be with a Breast Augmentation AND Lift.

The issue of Saline VS. Slicone gel implants is a somewhat complex one and needs to be resolved based on your preference and choice of which compromises you wish to make. Silicone gel filled breast implants are lighter, feel more natural and ripple less than comparable saline filled breast implants. They are also more expensive and when they leak, the implant failure may not be obvious and a MRI test would be needed to confirm such a suspicion. Saline implants, on the other hand, are cheaper, can be placed through a smaller scar, can be filled differentially - allowing them to be filled with different volumes to reduce the common asymmetry in breast volume seen in most women. But, these implants ripple more and are slightly heavier.

The location of the incision in your case is immaterial since a Breast Lift would need to be done and the implant can be placed through the Breast Lift incision.

Consult with several Plastic surgeons and go with the Board Certified surgeon with whom you feel most comfortable.

Good Luck

Memphis, TN

There is hope.

+2

You will need a lift (mastopexy) and an iimplant to get the best result.  asymmetry of a woman's

breast is very common.  To get the best symmetry you will need a lift with removal of the amount

of breast tissue to make the larger breast the same size as the smaller breast.  Then you need an implant to give you some size since the lift will reduce you a half to a full cup size.  An important

question is whether you are going to have more children.  If so, wait to do anything to your breasts.

Be sure you consult with a board certified plastic surgery who has some experience with this

type of surgery.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Droopy asymmetric breasts after breast feeding.

+2
From your photos, you will likely need both a lift and placement of different size implants to improve the breast volume symmetry. Your board certified plastic surgeon will be able to determine on examination whether both can be done together or if you will need a two stage approach to lift you and get the nipple position symmetric and then place different size implants to improve the volume symmetry.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants as the top half of a mommy makeover and to correct asymmetry

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos.

A breast lift can give you a more uplifted and youthful appearing breast. The breast lift can also correct the asymmetry you have noticed.

You may also add a breast implant which can be placed at the same time of the lift to restore the volume you have lost in the upper portion of your breasts.

To specific details, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Restoring Breast Shape after Breast Feeding

+2

Hi there-

It looks like a breast lift with implants would give you the best outcome, but remember that the only way to know for sure would be to visit a talented and experienced surgeon for a consultation.

Also, be cautious of procedures not yet universally proven safe and effective... While I realize that some surgeons are grafting fat for breast enhancement, The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has recently cautioned against this practice for women with healthy normal breasts as this might complicate your future mammograms and cancer diagnosis.

Time will tell whether or not this is a good idea, but for now I would not be comfortable recommending it for anyone who has not had a mastectomy.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Asymmetry and upper pole volume loss

+2

I am not sure whether the photo got flipped around or the lighting has affected the appearance of the breasts.  It appears to me that the LEFT breast is slightly smaller and more ptotic (sagging), and has lost some fullness in the upper pole.

Whatever the case, it is my opinion that you can achieve your goals of "fuller, perkier, symmetrical" breasts with an asymmetric augmentation.  I would recommend that the smaller more ptotic side be augmented with an implant that is slightly larger and wider than the other side.  The implants could be inserted through any of the available incisions and could be subglandular, subfascial or submuscular.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

IMPLANTS #1 and LIFT #2

+2

In my many years of experience with mothers I would suggest filling out the upper pole with an implant or fat grafting and in your case, it is reasonable to seperate the two procedures.  Wait at least a year and then see how much lifting you will need to get the nipples into the more youthful position.  This is so much more accurate in attaining the appearance you want.  You will be happy with how they look in a bra for the first year and then decide with your surgeon how much lifting you will need.  It is true that there are savings to you if you do the augmentation and lift all at once, but it may be better to wait and then see what is best.

I tell my patients that in an 18 year old your nipple position is 18 cm or half of the way between your shoulder and elbow.  You will need to be realistic and be happy with 20cm or so. 

Wishing you the best outcome and just in case; be sure your doctor is board certified to do plastic surgery.

Robert B. Winslow, MD (in memoriam)
Folsom Plastic Surgeon

Other options

+2

Another option to consider depending on how large you want to go, is to consider a lift (mastopexy) with fat grafting to the upper poles and to restore symmetry. I now perform this procedure routinely for women who do not want to go much larger, or do not want implants but want better upper pole fullness and symmetry. Fat grafting is particularly helpful to create cleavage as well.

For larger augmentations, implants as recommended by others will be needed. Options here include saline and gel implants and even adjustable saline (Spectrum) implants. I have performed approximately 350 procedures combining a mastopexy with Spectrum implants.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Breast shape and volume issues

+2

Agree with Dr Pousti and DeMars. Lift plus implants the way to go. You will need a lift on both sides to get the optimal result. Some plastic surgeons are adding fat grafting to their surgeries to improve the upper pole and other areas. 

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon