How to Fix Asymmetrical Eyes

My eyes are very asymmetrical as you can see in my pic. My right eyebrow is slightly lower and less arched, and my right eyelid has a lot more skin and fat. I had bells palsy before so maybe that affected me. Is it possible to correct the asymmetry by only operating on my right side? I don't want to touch my left eye. Also, you can see in my left eye that I have two creases, but this is hidden in my right eye. Could my creases be maintained if I need blepharoplasty? How can I fix this?

It is interesting that you only want your right eyelid operated on.

+3

Hi Violet

To really address your concerns, what you need is a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon who devotes a great deal of their practice to these types of issues.

It is important to understand that the overwhelming feature evident in your photographs is left upper eyelid ptosis.  The levator tendon-the structure in the eyelid responsible for elevation the eyelid- is disinserting or coming apart.  This is relatively common.  To compensate for this, you unconsciously arch your left eyebrow.  You may well have a smaller degree of ptosis on the right that is masked by the heaviness on the left side.  On the right, the upper eyelid fold hides the crease complexity.  The left side, this double crease is exposed because of the tendon retracting into the orbit and the compensatory brow elevation.

In asking for surgery only on the right side, you are basically saying that there is something that you very much like about the shape and appearance of the left side more that the right.  In a consultation, all these details need to be addressed in order to develop a plan that makes sense and helps you achieve your goals.  Not every surgeon will be able to handle and deliver what you need so choose your surgeon wisely.

Fixing asymmetrical eyes

+1

Asymmetrical eyes is very normal and almost everyone has some degree of asymmetry regarding
their eyelids. This can involve the level of the eyebrows, amount of excess skin, differential fat compartments of the upper lips and the lower lids. The bony orbit can also be quite different due to embryologic development of both sides of the face. When we see degrees of asymmetry such as this, we perform asymmetrical surgery to make the eyelids look more symmetrical. For example, on the side with more excess skin we remove more skin to better matich the other eye.

Fix Asymmetrical Eyes

+1

I see the issues from you photo. I first would try a small amount of Botox to slightly elevate the right lateral eyebrow. If that works and you are happy than wait to do any surgery. If it fails than surgery is the next option. I would than do a minor skin removal upper lid, right, blepharoplasty + a Forehead thread lift. But you shouls see a boarded surgeon in person. 

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

The main reason your eyes are asymmetric is due to left upper eyelid ptosis (droopy) with the left brow compensating and thereby higher than the right side.  You also have some bony asymmetry.  A proper oculoplastic consultation can define what the problem(s) is and what options there are to address it.

Dr T.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon