Options to Fix Asymmetrical Cheekbone?

i have Asymmetrical cheekbones, one is higher than the other.so i am wondering if there is any way to fix it .also i want cheeks implants ,but am scared if i get them done the asymmetry of my cheeks will be more obvious!? pleas i need an expert opinion.

Options to Fix Asymmetrical Cheekbone?

+2

Everyone has asymmetrical features including cheeks with one side higher, wider and more projected.  The proper aesthetics of facial beauty, IMHO, are not dicated by symmetry of the cheeks or any feature but rather by how closely, that particular feature, meets the aesthetic ideal.  

Photos, of your cheeks, would help.  I use Cheek Implants often for cheek augmentation and minor differences in symmetry need not be addressed as long as the proper sized/shaped cheek implants are used.  When more significant differences arise, I use a nasal rasp to file high points from the cheek bone to facilitate implant placement and effect.

Asymmetic Cheekbones can be fixed by fillers or computer generated custom implants

+2

There are a number of moderate and long lasting fillers that work so well that I do many fewer cheek implants than I did a few years ago. If this is your first time, I suggest a hyaluronic acid filler, Juverderm, Restylane, or Perlane. The advantage is that they last +/- 9 months in the cheeks. If you don't like it, it will go away. If you really are unhappy it can be dissolved with an enzyme. If that works then a longer lasting filler such as Radiesse or Artefill can be used.

For very asymmetric cheeks, we can use an implant on one side. For the ultimate, custom facial implants are made by Implantech. We send them a 3-D CT scan and they create a model of your skull. Then together with the patient and implant company we design custom shaped and sized implants for your specific needs.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Modified and Custom Implants For Asymmetrical Cheeks

+2

The first question is to determine which cheek bone you prefer, the higher or the lower one? I will assume that you prefer the higher one. Your options would be to either custom carve a single implant for the lower cheek (if you only seek symmetry) or do cheek implants for both sides which are different in size and shape. (if you desire cheek augmentation as well) This will require a surgeon who is facile with such manipulations to both get symmetry and the desired facial effect. The most definite option would be to get a 3-D CT scan and have a skeletal model made. Then the implants could be shaped and modified beforehand so you would be absolutely certain the final cheek results are symmetric.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Cheekbone enhancement, correcting asymmetry, recommendation

+2

Cheek or cheekbone enhancement is becoming much more popular, not only in younger patients for aesthetic reasons, but also in older patients as they notice that the tissue over their cheekbones come down with aging.  There are nonsurgical as well as surgical options.  Nonsurgical options include injections of filler, with the most popular now being Radiesse.  This option is great for someone who: only needs mild improvement, is not sure how it will look and wants to see if they like it, or who does not wish surgery or can't have surgery for medical reasons.  The results are immediate and can be repeated.  For those that know what they want and wish permanent results, cheek implants can produce beautiful results - like anything, you need to look for a board certified plastic surgeon who is well experienced and can show you examples of their work.  Any procedure should be anticipated on how it will look with aging, but in the right patient, the result can be beautiful and long lasting.

Ghada Afifi, MD

Options for treating asymmetrical cheekbones

+2

Longer lasting fillers such as Radiesse are the ideal way to enhance cheekbones and correct asymmetry. Radiesse also has many advantages over cheek implants. One obvious advantage is that surgery is not required. Another is that you can get either a rapid or a gradual correction depending upon how many syringes you have injected and you can decide as you go exactly how much correction looks good. Another advantage is that cheek implants may no longer look good in an aging face as it changes over the years. Touch up treatments for fillers can be modified over many years to better fit the aging face. Because this is an art as much as it is a science, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of the physician injecting Radiesse is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Options to correct asymmetrical cheekbones

+1

It is possible to fix asymmetrical cheeks bones. The flat cheek is augmented higher to match the other side with a custom carved silastic cheek implant placed on one side, which we have performed in our practice.  The implant is placed through the intraoral approach and directly placed over the bone to match the existing opposite side.  Depending upon a patient’s needs and wishes, this surgical procedure may be done using either local or general anesthesia.