Can Asymmetric Breasts Be Fixed Without Breast Implants?

I have asymmetric breasts and I was wondering what could be done about them. I know usually an Breast implant is used in the smaller breast but is there anyway this can be avoided?
I've heard of a patients own fat being used for breast enlargement, Would this be an option for asymmetric breasts? Im looking for the least invasive option. My left breast is an A cup and my right a C cup. Thanks for your help.

Fixing asymmetric breasts without implants?

+3

The only way to fix your asymmetry without an implant would be to make your C cup breast smaller to match your A cup.  Otherwise, you need an implant.  No other option exists that can come close to making a 2 cup size difference. 

Correction of Asymmetric breasts

+3

Entire books are devoted to your question. Without photographs, it is impossible to answer your question except in the simplest most general terms.

Most women want LARGER breasts than A cups. If this is the case with you, the smaller breast would have to be augmented to close to the size of the larger breasts.

If you want a smaller larger breast - it would have to be reduced to a volume which would have to be matched by a smaller breast augmentation.

The use of fat grafts to augment breast is VERY controversial, very unreliable and despite everything you read, not widely used.

Dr. P. Aldea

Breast Asymmetry

+2

Autologous fat grafting for breast augmentation is still an area of much controversy in plastic surgery. It can be done, but even under the best of circumstances, you are not likely to go from an A cup to a C cup with a single fat transfer. In addition, there may be other issues to address, such as asymmetry in nipple position. 

Without an examination, I can not give you any specifics, but to achieve symmetry you will need to make a choice:

• enlarge the smaller breast with an implant or fat graft
  • reduce the larger breast
  • do some combination of both

Mark Preston, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Asymmetrical Breasts without implants

+2

There are some surgeons who are now advocating the use of fat for breast augmentation and have some nice results from it. However, I think that most of us would agree that it is still too early to know how these patient do in the long run, including how this procedure affects future mammograms. So in general, if you wanted to maintain a reasonable cup size and achieve balance, then an implant would most likely be needed-- we would need photos and to do an exam to know for sure, but this is my estimation based on what you have said.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Fat grafting can be used to enlarge a small breast and cases of breast asymmetry

+1

Thank you for your question. Certainly fat grafting can be done to enlarge a small breasts to improve your breast asymmetry. However if the height and position of your nipples are asymmetrical, or 1 breast sags more than the other, a lift may be required to give you a more symmetrical look. You can check the attached article on tuberous breast and and the last photograph shows a patient who had a lift and implants to correct breast asymmetry

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Fixing breasts that aren't even without implants

+1

First of all, virtually every woman has some degree of uneven or asymetric breasts.  In one sense, asymmetry is more "natural" than perfect symmetry.  

There are a number of ways that breasts could be fixed without implants.  Some of these options include fat grafting, rearranging the breast tissue, reduction in the opposite breast, correction of nipple heights or the fold underneath the breast.  You should discuss with your surgeon why implants are not a preferred option for you as well.  Only a complete and honest discussion between you and the plastic surgeon will allow both of your to acheive your goals and expectations.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon

Can breast assymetry be fixed without an implant.

+1

You wrote that one breast is an A cup the other a C cup. The answer is: If you are willing to accept an A cup on both sides, the larger side can be reduced to match the smaller side. Often the shape of the breasts are different and one needs to reshape both breasts. If the A cup is too small for you then an implant is needed on the smaller side. Fat grafting is an option if you are opposed to an implant. I am really simplifying the things for you. You need a consultation with a good plastic surgeon with lots of experience in breast surgery to get a good result. I have a picture on my RealSelf profile that shows before and after correction of a breast asymmetry with no implants. On that picture you can see that the right side's shape was modified and the left side was reduced and lifted.  

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

No implant with a breast reduction

+1

Breast asymmetry can be a hard problem to address and not always as simple as placing an implant on the smaller side. Very often, the breasts are not only different sizes but also different shapes. An implant will augment the smaller breast but you still won't necessarily match the larger side if they are not the same shape. A breast reduction on the larger side would be one option. You would need a consulation to determine if enough tissue could safely be removed to match the size of the smaller breast. This surgery would also allow the surgeon to re-shape thebreast to match better. The trade-off would be the additional scars.

Jeremy Waldman, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Options for breast asymmetry

+1

The only other alternative which has not been mentioned is to consdier the use of the BRAVA system. This is not unlike a breast pump which is worn at least 12 hours a day and can achieve an increase of a half to one cup size. IF you could get your A size breast up to a B then you could reduce your C size to a B.

Fat injections are only beginning to be accepted in the US but have been performed in Europe for some time.

Breast Asymmetry

+1

Since you are small on the one side I would have to say no. The option would be to do a reduction on the larger side, but getting you down to an A cup would likely not be possible.

Fat grafting to the breast is still in its early phase and we dont know how it will interfere with mammogram and screening.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD