Fit and Trim...is a Tummy Tuck Crazy? (photo)

Basics...I have lost all my baby weight and am trimmed down to a good size. My abs are toned. I have wrinkly skin & loose skin when I sit or bend over. My surgeon is very positive about my outcome b/c I am starting from a good place, says she can make my tummy look really nice. Dr is board cert, well esteemed. My skin did not improve between child 2 & 3 (7 years). I'm 42. I'm just scared about the scar and whether or not I'm doing more than I need. What are your thoughts about TT on fit women?

Tummy tuck helps with excess skin

+2

The tummy tuck will address the excess skin that you have from pregnancies.  If you do not have abdominal wall laxity, or minimal laxity, a mini tummy tuck may be an option for you.  I recommend a visit with a Board Certified plastic surgeon for an exam and evaluation of your particular situation.  Good luck.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Results

+2

Hi Fairyrhea

If only more of our patients came to us in as good a shape!! I think you'll get a fantastic result from a tummy tuck. It will address the loose skin under your belly button (and the stretch marks) that you don't like.

Don't allow your age or the scar to deter you from chasing the shape that you really want. In patients your shape I try to place the scar along to top of the pelvic brim - feel from the pointy part of your pelvis under your jeans pocket and imagine a curved line that runs down to the top of your pelvic bone in the midline. The scar is easily hidden under all but the most brief swimmers and underwear. If you are keen on G-strings etc, it is useful to wear one to your consult with the Plastic Surgeon and check that they are comfortable in getting your scar underneath the outline.

The one caveat that I would add is to be prepared for the post operative discomfort (and time off the gym). Suturing the rectus (six-pack) muscles back in the midline is part of providing a solid base for your abdominal fat & skin. Even small divarications should be sutured back together. Being fit and having good core muscles means that you will have good tone in your obliques and transversus muscles. They will pull on those new midline stitches and you will be (temporarily) more uncomfortable than someone less fit. I have found using a catheter that drips local anaesthetic (lots of various trade names) over the sutures for a few days makes a profound improvement in post operative discomfort, especially in fit people like yourself.

I doubt you will regret the decision to proceed with a tummy tuck. Good Luck!

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and other body contouring procedures work best in fit people!

+2

There is a misconception that if one is fit then they shouldn't have body contouring procedures. On the contrary, the effects of pregnancy are often irreversible and the is the rationale for having this type of surgery. I would say you are a perfect candidate for a tummy tuck.  The tradeoff is the  scar, but your PS should be able to make it low enough to hide under your two piece bottoms.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Tummy tuck is reasonable for even thin women

+2

Based solely on your photos a TT is very reasonable, but you MUST be well prepared for the associated scarring.  No shortcuts will make you happy, likely, as they won't address the loose skin above the umbilicus (belly button).  You are 99.9% likely to need not only the "usual" TT scar, but also a vertical scar in the midline between the "usual" scar and the umb scar. 

James E. Chappell, MD

Minny TT

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

From your pictures I can see that the majority of your issues are with excess skin laxity in the area below your bellybutton. I cannot appreciate any excess laxity or exess fat in the area above your bellybutton. I agree with the other Dr. that when everyone sits down we will see skin folds as the skin is not infinitey elastic. However, one recommendation that may work for you is to have a discussion with your surgeon about a minny TT. This will not require a veritcal incision to close your previous umbilical scar and will allow a slightly smaller horizontal scar giving you a nice tight tummy.

Best of Luck.

Arturo H. Armenta, MD

Fit and Trim...is a Tummy Tuck Crazy

+2

Fit women are usually have the best outcome from TT. Not necessarily the most improvement, since the only issue with them is skin excess, but nevertheless, the best postop results. 

I would caution that even after a TT, when sitting the abdominal skin will buckle--the skin is not infinitely elastic. I can't tell from photos if there is enough upper abdominal skin to reach down to the low TT incision. When that is not the case, a small vertical scar may be needed to close the incision that was made around the navel during the operation. Be sure to review the planned procedure with your surgeon to avoid surprise. 

All the best. 

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

Based on your photos you appear to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. The only way to address loose skin, is to remove it- not with liposuction. Whether you need a mini-tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck is something that a board certified plastic surgeon can determine with a good examination.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD