Firmness After 2 Months- Is This Capsular Contracture?

It has been 2 months since BA (saline under muscle; 250cc R/180cc L. Both have never felt very soft since day one; in fact now they are quite hard and I find that massaging helps them become softer. However, it seems like it gets firm only a few hours after massaging, therefore I feel a need to masaage them often when I can. My PS in a recent visit mentioned that I may be developing CC. I am hoping it is not CC and that I have tight muscles. If this is the case, when do they typically relax?

+2

You have posted a informative viewpoint but without an in person examination "I" could not render an accurate diagnosis. I think it could be a CC but at 2 months the muscle still might be tight. Best to obtain in person second opinions. 

Capsular contractures don't relax

+2

What you are describing does sound more like muscle spasm to me that CC because CC wouldn't relax with massage then tighten up again.  You might try more massage and maybe even some muscle relaxants if your doctor approves.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Firmness after two months

+1
Firmness could reflect an early capsule but, equally, could reflect other problems including muscle tightness The only way to know for sure is to see your plastic surgeon in followup.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

2 months out of Breast Augmentation Surgery

+1

It is difficult to say what is going on without an examination.  I would agree that possibly you are experiencing a tight pectoralis muscle (since things seem to soften with massage), but I would recommend that you keep in close communication with your surgeon since he/she knows you best.

I wish you the best.

Firmness of breast after augmentation- is this capsular contracture?

+1

It takes approximately 3 months for the capsule to completely form, so I do not believe this is capsular contracture.  You could have muscle spasm, or plain edema which gets redistributed after massage.  In my opinion, continue your massage and wait 4 more months for all the swelling to resolve and the scar tissue to stabilize.  However, if the problem is worsening with time, please see your surgeon ASAP.

Please also visit my blog ( which is posted on my web-site home page) and read the blog on capsular contracture.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Persistent Breast Firmness After Implant Augmentation

+1

It is highly unlikely that you would be developing capsular contracture two months out from surgery on both breasts, particularly in saline implants that are placed in the submuscular position.The observation that they soften after massage also indicates that this is not a true capsular contracture...yet. I would continue with the massaging and sleep on your stomach at night if you can. If this is just muscle and skin tightness it will eventually get better. If it is capsular contracture it will get worse with time.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Firmness after two months with implants

+1

Firmness that will soften after massage is likely capsular contracture if it has developed slowly after two months. Your breast typically should relax after two to three months. If you can soften the implants with massage there is hope that you can keep them that way if you keep up the effort.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd