I'm a Firefighter Who is Looking to Get Some Neck and Chin Liposuction- Is This A Good Option For Me?

i dont like the way my neck and jawline look and want to improve them so i will look better. i am a millitary firefighter and looks are very important in the millitary. i am hesitent to getting the liposuction because i dont know how much time i would need to take off work; so that i can recover properly. my job requires me to wear a face mask

Liposuction of the chin and neck area

+1

Liposuction of the chin and neck can yield a fantastic result for the right patient. An exam would really be necessary to determine your exact needs. From here, I would recommend a consult with a board certified surgeon who has a great deal of experience. He/she will be able to assess your needs and provide you with options, and give you an idea of how long recovery may be in your individual situation. Thank you, and I hope this helps! 

Time off after neck liposuction

+1
Everyone is different. People with desk jobs commonly take off a week after neck lipo. For someone in a more strenuous job, two weeks would not be unreasonable. It may be wisevto research the military's rules applicable to your position. I cannot evaluate the appropriateness of a procedure without photos. Thanks for serving our country.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Liposuction as option

+1

Being a former military surgeon myself, I can understand how your appearance is important for your career. In the right candidate neck or submental liposuction can be a great way to attain a stronger jawline and neckline. Depending on your anatomy chin augmentation may also be beneficial to further define your neck. Without seeing photos it is hard to say whether this may be a consideration in your case, though.

How much time you would need to take off depends a lot on what procedure(s) you have done. Given the strenuous nature of your work I suspect you'd want to avoid work for a couple weeks, but this may vary from surgeon to surgeon as well.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Liposuction of the neck

+1

I have found liposuction of the neck useful in the appropriate candidates. With no photo or an examination it is not possible to comment on the specifics of your case.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Provided you are a candidate for lower face/neck lipo, yes.

+1

This procedure would be a perfect way to look thinner, younger and more fit.  If you are firefighter in the millitary, then you are not going to be old enought to have a lot of skin laxity.  If you find a liposuction surgeon who performs tumescent liposuction (generally a dermatologic surgeon), it is possible to have your liposuciton on a thursday and be back at work with virtually no bruising or any signs that you had anything done.  Usually the swelling from the procedure hides the fact that a procedure was just performed.  As the swelling resolves the improved neck contour is evident over the course of 4 to 6 weeks.  There is absolutely no reason to have this under general anesthesia.  I often perform this procedure in my office under just local anesthesia.  It is very comfortable.

Candidate for Liposuction?

+1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination.  Generally, a good candidate for liposuction of the neck and chin area will be a relatively young patient with isolated “excess” adipose tissue  with limited redundant/loose skin.  The quality of overlying skin elasticity is of utmost  importance. In my practice, the majority of patients I see who request the procedure are not good candidates.

You will find many doctors will offer their services to you;  I would suggest consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.