Have Jaw Pain After Invisalign, Supposedly Caused from an Overbite, Is this Discomfort Permanent? (photo)

I have finished my Invisalign treatment. I've been having left jaw pain. My orthodontist stated that I have a bit of an overbite so my it puts more stress on that muscle since my top and bottom teeth do not rest on each other perfectly. I did not have this consistent pain before i started invisalign. I was under the impression we were fixing my bite as well when starting the treatment. He says now all i can do is take advil if it is painful. The pain is not terrible and i can get by but it is noticable and uncomfortable, gets worse obviously with eating. I would prefer not to have this my entire life. what's next?

Bite adjustment could help..

+1

Certainly this is not something you have to live with all your life. I think a full mouth bite adjustment could work great and then maybe an anterior nite guard for teeth grinding..

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Jaw pain after Invisalign

+1

You should not have to live with jaw pain after getting Invisalign.  If your orthodontist cannot resolve the problem I suggest getting a second opinion.  If Invisalign alone is not able to correct a bite problem which is causing jaw pain, you may need some additional treatment such as braces to finalize tooth positions, or a bite splint to relieve stress on the jaw joint.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist

Treating TMD Caused by Invisalign

+1

You should not have to "live with this the rest of your life" and in fact, should have the problem resolved before it develops into a more serious problem. TMD can cause facial pain, headaches, neck aches, back aches, ringing or buzzing in the ears, clicking, popping, and even chronic fatigue and depression. This is not something that should be taken lightly. Find a competent TMD dentist and fix your problem while it is still relatively small. It could be that you need a simple bite adjustment or a simple nighttime appliance.

Good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Cosmetic Dentist