Will Finesteride Benefit a 66-year-old Type 7 Energetic Man or Will It Cause Impotence?

At age 66 and a Type-6 balding pattern, I was told by two dermatologists that they could implant 2500 hairs and a third stated he could implant 3,000. The first two descibed my donor area as a "6", with 10 being best, and the third said the donor area was a "4". I I was concerned that 3,000 is too aggresive. Meanwhile, i am using 1 mg. finestride in hopes it will stop any further loss in the donor area and hope it'll regrow crown area hair as well. Yes?No?

Finasteride Vs. Hair Transplant

+1

Hair restoration drugs like finasteride and minoxidil are most effective when used at the early onset of hair loss. Finasteride works by preventing hair loss, but cannot grow back hair that is already gone. At an NW 6, finasteride probably would not do much for you and may not be worth the potential side effects (which may include impotence). I would go forward with the hair transplant. To know whether 2500 or 3000 grafts is more suitable for you would depend on a variety of factors, which I would only be able to assess via consultation.

Web reference: http://www.dermhairclinic.com/fue-hair-transplant/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Finasteride effects.

+1

It is unlikely that Finasteride will regrow significant amount of hair if you are slick bald in the crown. Finasteride will likely slow down further baldness and is as unlikely to cause impotence as it is likely to  increase your sexual performance.(Finasteride  does slightly raise testosterone levels.)

Hair transplants might work if you have reasonable expectations. I presume your doctors were giving you estimates of number of grafts rather than number of hairs. Also the number of graft sessions was not described therefore I assume one session is being proposed. The difference between 2500 and 3000 grafts for a Class 6 baldness in one session is insignificant in my opinion. The quality of your donor hair is proportionate to your recipient result. You should ask the surgeon of your choice to show pictures of results of past patients in your age group with similar balding and hair characteristics.  

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon