Is It Possible to Reverse / Stop Wrinkles Around Eyes? Would Retinol Help?

I am 27 and recently started noticing fine lines around my eyes. They stand out more with facial expressions but are still somewhat noticeable when I'm static. I already wear sunscreen daily because I have a fair complexion. I'd like to know if it is possible to reverse this and stop the wrinkling process. I am considering starting a retinol treatment but I am not sure if it would be safe in the eye area.

Wrinkles around the eyes

+1

You should use sunscreen, moisturizers and retinol/tretinoin cream which is safe for the eye area.  Botox will smooth out your lines and prevent them from worsening.  You will need repeat treatments every 4 months or so.

Toronto Dermatologist

Eye Wrinkles

+1

Yes, I agree.  A retinal product would be great to start using.  Of course, sun screen and a moisturizer.  There are many good eye creams that combine these ingredients.  Email my office and they can give you a list.  Also, if the lines are in the crow's feet area a little BOTOX can really soften these.   Some light resurfacing is nice but depends on the depth of your wrinkles.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible to reverse wrinkles around the eyes

+1

Yes, it is possible to reverse wrinkles around the eyes. Lasers, Retin A, fillers, Botox, Dysport can all help to reverse wrinkles around the eyes. They do the best job when used in combinations.

Which of these is right for you depends on why you are getting the wrinkles eg is it from the skin or the muscle?
Have you lost volume or elasticity.

A good dermatologist or plastic surgeon can help figure this out and minimize these wrinkles.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox & Dysport

+1

Treatments with Botox and/or Dysport are great ways to soften crow's feet and also keep them from getting any deeper.  I'd also recommend a medical grade eye cream, one with a relatively high percentage of Glycolic acid.  Using sunscreen, Tretinoin creams (like RetinA), and a series of epidermal chemical peels also help to keep the skin rejuvenated and minimize fine wrinkling.

Jenifer L. Henderson, MD
Silverdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox works on Crow's feet

+1

the best treatment first of all is sunscreens.  they will allow you to move through time slower.

In addition, Botox can work really well and will help relax the muscles that cause squinting resulting in those lines.

Retinol does not work very well, but if you were interested in implementing a topical product I would consider a true retin-a product.  This would be the best for truly augmenting collagen production in these areas.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

Crows feet and Botox

+1

The smile lines or crows feet are a problem. Retin a type products are wonderful for the skin and can be used in that area safely. You should also consider the underlying cause and think about Botox. Botox does a very good job there.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD