What Should I Do to Treat Fine Horizantal Wrinkle on Forehead? 21 Years Old.

I am 21 years old and have noticed a fine horizantal line on my forehead. I assume that it's from making a facial expression over and over. What should I do to get rid of that line and keep wrinkles from appearing? I'm considering retinoids and botox. Right now I use olay spf 15 mousterizer every morning and olay firming night cream every night, I was my face nightly with Purpose face wash.

Best options for fine lines on forehead

+1

The suitable options include exfoliation once a week with a gentle scrub to reduce the appearance of the line, along with chemical peels for deeper exfoliation. Also chemical peels will stimulate the cell renewal and collagen production. It's important to upkeep with these treatments as they will slow down the aging process overall and formation of lines and wrinkles. Exfoliating is key, therefore retinoid is also an efficient choice. You may start using it once or twice a week with a moisturizer at night or morning. Make sure SPF is used during the day.  The most quickest way to eliminate the line on the forehead is to receive Botox treatment. You may consider it in the future when you notice more lines and wrinkles.

How to keep wrinkles away and keep skin youthful - for 20 year olds

+1

Wrinkle your forehead to see if the fine line deepens.  If it does, then you are right to assume that the line is a result of your facial expression.  Over time, if you continue to make the expression, the fine line will become deeper.  A neurotoxin, such as botox or dysport or xeomin, will paralyze your muscles and keep you from making the expression. 

To protect the overall quality of your skin, there are a a couple of scientifically-proven things that you can easily do:

1) wear BROAD-spectrum sunscreen daily.  Remember that UVA rays age the skin.  UVA is present throughout the day and goes through glass.  Zinc oxide is the best UVA protection.  SPF refers only to UVB protection.  UVB rays are the rays that burn you and they are strongest between 10am and 2pm. 

2) use a retinoid (over-the-counter retinol or prescription strength tretinoin) nightly.  Remember a little goes a long way.  Retinoids help to exfoliate skin, increase collagen production, and minimize pigmentation irregularities.  But, don't use retinoids if you are trying to get pregnant. 

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Botox for forehead wrinkles

+1

Thank you for your question.  This early wrinkle is from motion of the muscles on your forehead. Yes, Botox or Dysport will work to correct this before more deep-set wrinkles get established and are harder to get rid of.

Because women's skin is much thinner on the face than men's skin, women tend to show signs of aging earlier. I am sorry. This is probably not something that you want to hear.

Early intervention and preventative maintenance can postpone the need for more invasive procedures in the future.

I hope this helps. Best of Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox for forehead wrinkles

+1

I would defintely add retinoids and consider Skin Medica TNS Essential Serum.  Continue with your current regimen.  Lastly, Botox or Dysport is an excellent option to reduce and prevent these lines.

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Young but never too early to ward off wrinkles

+1

You are young but it is never too early to start the fight against the aging face. Most important is to wear sunscreen every morning. It also would be good to start with a retinoid at night. If the wrinkles bother you a little botox or Dysport would not hurt but I do wonder whether using these products for 40 years might allow some antibodies to develop. I'm noit sure that we know the answer to this at this point but I would not let it stop me if the wrinkles really bother you.  Ask a good friend their opinion as you might be looking at yourself too critically.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

How can I treat horizontal forehead wrinkles?

+1

Given your age, I would treat them with either Botox or Dysport to relax the muscles that are causing them.

I would also recommend polarized sunglasses so you dont squint as much (Costco has great ones). For topical products, look at mine Scienltificskin.com. A lifting serum with retinol will help to minimize these wrinkles.  I would also recommend that you use sun protection whenver you are outside.

Kenneth Beer, MD
Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon