What to Look for in Finding a Good/trustworthy Explant Surgeon?

Dear doctors, I'm thinking of having my implants removed after 1 1/2 years. I have a number of questions in finding the right doc. 1. What qualifications I should be looking for in finding a suitable doctor? 2. What are the indicators of a good doctor? 3. Can I assume a good implant doctor can do an equally good job for explantation? 4. Will it be preferable to have my original doc, or it does not really matter? Doctors, thank you so very much in advance.

Finding the Right Surgeon

+1

I would recommend that you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, certified by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) for your surgery.   That's the best place to start.

Finding the right surgeon for your Mommy Makeover

+1

I agree that you need to do your research, choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not cosmetic surgery) and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  From here, you know you are selecting from qualified surgeons.  You need to meet with the surgeon, see many examples of their work and talk to patients about their experience with the surgeon and the staff.  If there is a way to speak to and meet patients who have undergone a similar procedure, that is usually very useful.

Finding a local plastic surgeon

+1

Highly qualified plastic surgeons can be found on the American Society of Plastic Surgery website.  Visit with several of them before choosing the surgeon for your procedure.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Choosing a surgeon for implant removal

+1

If you were otherwise happy with the surgeon who placed your implants and you believe that he/she provided you with good care, I would advise you to stick with the same surgeon.

Breast concerns

+1

I would really question why you wish them removed-too large,mishappen,hard,? These can all be helped. I do though follow my patients desires and if they really wanted to remove the implants that is what I would do. Fortunately, removal totally is not very common in my practice but since I have been doing breast surgery for many years, I do have a number of patients that wish them adjusted-upward/downward or uplift. These procedures are usually much easier than the intital as far as pain is concerned.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Removing Breast Implants

+1

I would recommend the same criteria I hope you used to find the surgeon to place your implants: (1) board certified plastic surgeon, (2) experience with breast surgery, and (3) someone you feel comfortable handling your case.  

It would be preferable to have the original surgeon remove your implants but any plastic surgeon that meets the criteria above would be fine.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast Implant Removal

+1

First you need to make sure that you will be happy with the removal of the breast implants.

Look for  ABOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON WITH EXPERIENCE, have multiple consults and need to spend significant time in the consultation answering all your questions and all your options, risks, alternatives, availability. understanding your particular situation. When you feel confident and comfortable then you can choose your plastic surgeon. Explantation can be more involved because of removal of the capsule to prevent other complications down the line.

Explant surgeon

+1

You should make sure you find a good doctor who does great work.  You want someone who is available to you for post-op questions and care. You also want to make sure that the staff is accessible as well.

Looking for a Good/trustworthy Breast Implant Explant Surgeon

+1

Regarding :"What to Look for in Finding a Good/trustworthy Explant Surgeon?
Dear doctors, I'm thinking of having my implants removed after 1 1/2 years. I have a number of questions in finding the right doc. 1. What qualifications I should be looking for in finding a suitable doctor? 2. What are the indicators of a good doctor? 3. Can I assume a good implant doctor can do an equally good job for explantation? 4. Will it be preferable to have my original doc, or it does not really matter? Doctors, thank you so very much in advance
."

Very good question.

If for some reason you do not want to go back to your surgeon, i would research the members of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery.org) in your area. Check each surgeon's website and check their reputation on the Internet. Narrow the list to 3-4 surgeons and invest the time and money of seeing each one and then compare them.

Breast Augmentation is the most common operation in Cosmetic plastic Surgery and those of us who have been practicing Plastic Surgery for a while are very familiar with all its nuances. I would pick the surgeon who answers all your questions and whom you feel most comfortable with.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea