How Should I Go About Finding the Right Doctor for Chin/nose Revision?

I need to get revision surgery for chin and nose. I had this done in Argentina and I live in NY now. How can I find a good surgeon?

Finding the right surgeon for revision work

+1

It is important to find a surgeon who is board certified in facial plastic reconstructive surgery and who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries. A board certified physician anesthesiologist should perform your anesthesia in an accredited, certified, and licensed surgery center. This type of surgery is not done in the office. Find a facial plastic surgeon whose original background is ear, nose, and throat surgery and is board certified both in ear, nose, and throat and in facial plastic reconstructive surgery. Make sure you see their portfolio of before and after pictures of their patients so as to know the expertise of the surgeon that you are looking to have perform your revision work.

How to find a good revision nasal surgeon.

+1

Find a surgeon thru the AAFPRS or the ASPS to give you someone who has the MINIMUM requirements. Then talk to and see some of their patients who have had similar noses to yours, not just photos. We do a large number of revisions each week and their are patients in the office willing to show their results to other patients.

How to find a good plastic surgeon.

+1

Tips on picking a Plastic Surgeon for chin  and rhinoplaty surgery revision:

Answer by George J. Beraka, MD
1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique. Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6) Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want. You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want. Many patients are eager to share their experience. Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7) If you are having breast augmentation, ask if the surgeon has a large inventory of different size and shape breast implants available in the operating room. A surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will have an inventory. This way, the final implant choice does not have to be made in advance.

8) With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED. Very important safety assurance.

9) Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST. Another very important safety factor.

10) Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care. This can really speed recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)