Concerns with Chin Liposuction

I am 29, athletic, but have always had untoned skin and fat under my chin and around my jawline and am considering smart lipo. I am very concerned about bad skin tone and ropy/uneven appearance since its my face!

What type/grade of machine should I be looking for in a doctor's office to ensure best results? Also any suggestions on areas of the jaw/chin/jowls I should include? I don't want to overdo it, but mostly feel I don't have the info I need to self-advocate during consultation. Thx!

Liposuction of the sub-mentum

+3

Hello and thank you for the question.

Regarding your questions of sub-mental liposuction ( liposuction under the chin), I would be more concerned with the skill level and experience of the surgeon than the type of machine being utilized in the procedure.  

This procedure, at least in our practice, encompasses the entire sub-mental area including the jawline and jowls, where applicable. I would hedge to say that this is standard practice among surgeons performing this procedure. 

I recommend you consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon and ask plenty of questions regarding the technique employed, post-operative course, and reasonable expectations.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Chin Liposuction

+3

In my practice I use VASER and SMARTLipo depending on the situation.Both work well but I have found that SmartLipo helps the skin of the chin to contract very well.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Chin, Neck, Jawline liposuction

+3

Bikerider,   You appear to be an excellent candidate for liposuction of the neck chin area.   The technique is not near as important as is the surgeon doing the procedure.  A great surgeon will get a great result with any technique and visa versa.   I use the Vaser System but a great result could be attained with just small cannula and tiny cannula liposuction.   Check photos on the internet.  Results in neck lipo on 29 year olds are excellent.  You will have a great result.  Go to a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.  My Best

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

It ain't the machine, it's the surgeon!

+3

It is not quite accurate that the approach does not matter here.  However it is far more important to have an artistic liposuction surgeon rather than a particular technology.  Having said that, microcannulas are much better for performing lower face/neck.  The key with these procedures is actually preservation of fat which is golden in the face.  These are sculpting procedures.  I would advise you find a surgeon who performs the procedure under straight local anesthesia.  There is no reason to have general anesthesia for this procedure.  Your best bet here is to find a dermatological surgeon who practices tumescent liposuction and stay away from the fancy laser liposuction machines altogether.

Liposuction of the neck

+2
You appear to be an ideal candidate for neck liposuction. As stated before I would not be caught up in the type of liposuction rather then the surgeon performing it. Well performed submental liposuction will remove the fat deposits under the chin and give you a more refined appearance. It is as important what you leave behind as what you remove so you have a natural sculpted appearance without any irregularities. I have been performing this procedure for over twenty seven years make sure you go to a surgeon well skilled in this procedure.

Michael Elam, MD

Neck Liopsuction Can Be Successfully Done With Numerous Techniques

+2

Your submental and neck area will show nice improvement with liposuction. The key to a very suucessful outcome is not so much dependent on the tools to do it but whom is directing them. Good results can obtained with traditional liposuction or laser liposuction techniques. (Smartlipo) As an isolated procedure, it can be done under local anesthesia. I would discuss with your doctor what method he/she prefers and ask to see some representative examples of neck liposuction results.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Neck Liposuction

+2

The most important consideration in neck liposuction is conservative and consistant technique that will not eventually skeletonize the neck. There should be three approaches to the neck area from under the chin and just below the ear lobes in order to achieve even result. Over liposuctioning of neck will lead to scarring and skeletonization of the neck. See the before and after results from different angles to make a better choice.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

You appear to be a good candidate for neck liposuction.

+2

I read your concern and reviewed your photos. The area under your chin is often a repository of unwanted fatty deposits. Well-performed submental liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure to remove these fatty deposits and improve the appearance of your neck.

In my practice, neck liposuction may be performed with local anesthetic, and there is usually less than one week of downtime. I have no personal experience with SmartLipo, or power assisted lipo: I have used my 3-mm single-hole, spatula-tip canula along with a tumescent technique for many years, and have seen wonderful results and many happy patients. In my practice, the amount of time spent performing the neck liposuction is usually less than 15 minutes, so I'm not convinced that expensive technology is waranted for this localized procedure.

You should consult several reputable, certified facial plastic surgeons to determine what would be best for you.

Regards from NJ:

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lipo works great

+2

Patients who have undergone chin lipo love the results and it's been life-changing for them-

please make sure you see a board-certified plastic surgeon who has demonstrated great results in this procedure.  Whether smart lipo or any other type of lipo-remember it's the operator behind the cannula that is responsible for your results not the type of machinery used

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Chin Liposuction

+1

Visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and be evaluated for a lipo procedure.  Do not use laser as the only criteria for the procedure.   Yes, there is some retraction occurring, but you also want the skill of the surgeon.  Search for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who offers you the laser as well.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon