How to Find out if Your Plastic Surgeon is Board Certified?

There are so many different boards, how do I know which one to check my surgeon under? People say to check the American Board of Plastic Surgery for all doctors. But my doctor is certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, and NOT certifed by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is also a FACS and American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Can I trust them?

Clearing through the "Board Certified" Maze

+1

The requirements for taking the certification examination of The American Board of Plastic Surgery are the most rigorous requirements out there. Once you pass the examination and are "certified" by this board you have to APPLY for membership in The American Society of Plastic Surgeons. After they review your recommendations and having the membership vote for / against you you become a member.

These surgeons are qualified to do either Reconstructive or Cosmetic Surgery of the entire body.

That being said, I know of several ENT surgeons who pursued further training in cosmetic surgery of the face and were certified by their particular board. I view them as my colleagues and equivalent in operating on the face.

But, I would NOT allow one of them to perform Cosmetic Surgery of the breast or body just as I would not have an Ob-Gyn, ER, Family Practice or other NON-Plastic surgery trained physician operate on my friends or family.

If your ENT surgeon wants to perform a facial procedure on you, has good reviews and you trust him, there is no reason why you should not have your surgery with him.

Good Luck

Board certification

+1

Board certification is an important criteria to use when choosing a surgeon. It really depends upon what type of surgery you want performed.  A facial plastic surgeon will not routinely be boarded by the ABPS unless they did a formal plastic surgery residency. The facial plastic surgeon usually does a one year training after ENT in facial plastics and gets boarded by a different board.  If you want a breast augmentation then obviously you want someone boarded by ABPS.