Rhinoplasty and Boxing

I Need to Find a Surgeon Who Understands a Situation Im Trying to Solve. Long story short i have a unsually long nose and will be starting my boxing career very soon , the length of my nose is a huge disadvantage to me and i really need to find a solution to this no matter what , people have told me once rhinoplasty is done the nose becomes much weaker and will break much easily so rhinoplasty and fighting doesnt mix? so if thats not an option at reudcing the length of my nose then what options am i left with? any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Rhinoplasty before boxing is not a good idea

+2

Most boxers in their career will incure fractures unless they are good at ducking. I would wait until you are finished boxing before you have your rhinoplasty unless you willing to go through revisions when it is over.

Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and boxing

+1

It is important not to have a rhinoplasty while pursuing boxing as a profession. In a professional boxing career one is likely to break the nose on multiple occasions and there is no sense of performing a rhinoplasty prior to boxing. The constant pounding from boxing will certainly reduce the overall projection of the nose anyway.  

Rhinoplasty and boxing

+1

With the correction of a long nose, it is possible that it may not be necessary to perform any bone work. I would really need to see photos to provide you with the best advice. Please feel free to send any photos to my office and I would be happy to evaluate them for you. My contact information is listed in my profile. Thank you, and good luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty - Boxer

+1

If you are considering rhinoplasty, you must understand that the profession you are starting as a boxer puts you at high risk for having it re-broken and ruining your surgical result.  Rhinoplasty does not necessarily weaken you nose.  I think you may be talking about "saddle nose deformity" or the scooped out nose a lot of boxers and fighters have.  This is "lack of support" is from the nasal septum being injured or dissolved.  This should not happen as a result of rhinoplasty but it can happen with multiple trauma to your nose.  Nasal cartilage is extremely fragile and getting bleeding next to the septum "hematoma" could result in the cartilage being injured and getting re-absorbed.

I personally know a lot of fighters and they have had their noses and ears injured multiple times.  You should seriously consider waiting until you finish your boxing career to have rhinoplasty.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Boxer's nose

+1

The nose you describe will be of some disadvantage in your early boxing career. Wide flatter noses tend to absorb bows better. Most boxers who start out with prominent noses incur fractures which either flatten the nose or cause it to be deviated. The fractures usually heal with new bony growth that often makes the bony skeleton stronger and harder to operate on later.

There is the  danger is getting straight punch to the nose which can drive the somewhat solid septum towards the brain.  This often resulted in a knockout which might not happen with an equivalent punch on a flatter nose. In years past, some boxers had sub mucous resection of the nasal septum perfomed which allowed the nose to be pushed inward more readily when punched. By now you should have taken a good punch or two in the nose and may have had an experience that might lead you to consider such a procedure or find another vocation.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it weaker? maybe

+1

The only solution for making a long nose shorter is a reduction rhinoplasty. Depending on the surgical technique performed the nose may not be that much weaker. For instance if your nose is more cartilage than bone - we could reduce the nose without breaking the bones. In addition strengthening grafts of cartilage could be placed at the same time. You would have to accept the fact the most boxers noses are a mess after their career is over. So - here is what  I would tell you if your were in my clinic

1) We can shorten your nose

2) You will likely need a revision surgery (maybe even nigger than the forst one) when your boxing career is done

but only #1 is a certainty

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and boxing do they match?

+1

Dear boxer patient from Reseda, CA
As a rhinoplasty specialist, I perform many male rhinoplasties as well as revision rhinoplasties. Since you’re planning to start a boxing career , I would wait for a while. You are correct; once you have rhinoplasty any subsequent injuries to nose may require a revision rhinoplasty. At that point it would be a more difficult surgery with prolonged recovery and swelling. If you sustain any injuries to your nose during your boxing career that requires fixation, then an aesthetic rhinoplasty can also be performed at the same time.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Questionable Merits of having a Nose Job before embarking on a Boxing Career

+1
An overly long nose CAN be shortened with a relatively straight forward procedure in which the septum is trimmed. This may not need to have in-breaking of the nose. BUT - the idea of shortening the nose by the small distances such procedures provide will somehow provide a significant avoidance from a large and powerful swing from a boxing glove is overly optimistic and unrealistic. The OTHER point to consider is that Boxing is NOT a cosmetic pursuit. There are no boxers whose faces and noses have been improved by this pursuit. You may wish to consider having your nose done after you walk away from the ring. Good Luck. Dr. Peter Aldea

Having a rhinoplasty may not weaken the nasal bones, but do you really need rhinoplasty?

+1

Dear boxer82,

If I am interpreting you question correctly, your nose 'sticks out' too much. Unfortunately, there is no other option of reducing your nose without rhinoplasty. It is true that rhinoplasty will make your nose more susceptible to nasal fracture, but only if the nasal bones are broken or significantly altered during the  rhinoplasty. Having said that, reducing the length/projection of the nose usually results in a change of less than 1 cm.  I'm not a boxing expert, but would that really make a difference for competition?  You should first find out if you really need to undergo rhinoplasty for a competitive advantage in the first place. Good luck in your career.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC

Lawrence Tong, MD

Boxing and rhinoplasty

+1

While a long nose might be a disadvantage to you while boxing, I would recommend you not have corrective surgery until your boxing career is over. You are correct in that it is more difficult to fix a nose that has been operated on previously as the results are less predictable.  I would recommend protective gear and wait until you are done boxing before contemplating nasal surgery.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon