Can I Find a Surgeon to Do a Total Mommy Makeover if I Have Medical Problems?

Since I had my children several years ago I have gained both weight and inches. I have also had medical complications since that time. I am very self-conscious about my looks and would hate to live the rest of my life being the size I am currently. Is there a surgeon in the San Antonio area that I could find who would give me a mommy Makeover with medical concerns?

Medical clearance before mommy makeover

+1

If you have any medical issues, you should have a medical clearance from your primary care doctor before proceeding with surgery. They can make sure that you're healthy enough before you undergo general anesthesia for a mommy makeover.  Sometimes it will be helpful to have your surgery in a hospital, rather than an outpatient surgery center, if you have significant medical issues or if your doctors feel  that is safest for you. 

Make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss your situation with them in detail.  I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover and medical conditions

+1

Before I perform any procedure, I make sure that my patients are good candidates for surgery.  This include their anatomy to see whether they would have good cosmetic results as well as their medical conditions.  Especially because cosmetic surgery is elective, I want to make sure that my patients will not have any complications.  If patients have pre-existing, medical comorbidities, I have them see their primary care physciain to optimize their medical conditions first. 

Sugene Kim, MD

Cosmetic surgery with other medical conditions

+1

As long as you're cleared by your primary care doctor, you should be okay for surgery.  Check out the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website for a local board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

See your primary care doctor

+1

It is always advisible if patients have pre-existing medical problems to see their primary care doctors and have their conditions evaluated.  It will give you peace of mind and as your surgeon, it will give me peace of mind as well.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Medical Concerns and Mommy Makeover Surgery

+1

I would recommend you visit with your family doc or internist to make sure that your "medical issues" have been worked up and treated appropriately. Once you have obtained medicine clearance for surgery, you should be fine to proceed with surgery. 

Most surgeons refer to a "mommy makeover" as a series of cosmetic surgery procedures intended to restore a woman’s figure after pregnancy. Procedures commonly performed during mommy makeovers include: Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)Breast Augmentation +/- Lift, or Breast Lift only without implants, liposuction

Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mommy Makeover Candidates

+1

The best candidates for combined surgical procedures, such as the mommy makeover, are patients who are healthy and near their ideal weight.  You would need to be evaluated by your plastic surgeon and internist to determine your best options. 

David Stoker, MD

Mommy makeover and medical problems

+1

It is best, as much as possible, to be as “tuned up” from the medical, psychological, and weight loss perspective prior to this major elective surgery. It may be best to see your primary care doctor in order to optimize your  situation  before undergoing the surgery.

This process of preparation for surgery will improve the chances of safe surgery and successful outcome.

Mommy makeover and medical issues

+1

First of all, it would need to be determined whether or not you could benefit from cosmetic surgery to improve your appearance. You should seek out a reputable board certified plastic surgeon who can make this determination.

If you are found to be a candidate for cosmetic surgery based on your physical issues, it would then need to be decided if you are healthy enough to undergo the procedure(s). As this is elective surgery, it should only be performed if you are deemed to be in good enough health where the medical risks are relatively low. As you did not state what your medical issues are, it is impossible to provide you advice on this.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Who is a good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?

+1

Dear fmrcycote1,  It is important that any plastic surgeon that evaluates you put your safety first.  If you have active ongoing medical issues they should be stabilized prior to surgery.  You should be in your best medical and psychological condition.  If the procedure is in your best interest than I'm sure that a well trained sugeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery can do a good job for you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Mommy makeover with medical concerns

+1

It all depends on what your medical problems are.   Safety is a priority with elective surgery, so seek out a qualified plastic surgeon and be completely honest about your medical history, medication use, etc. so he or she can decide with you if the benefits are worth the risks and if you would need to have surgery at a hospital instead of a surgery center. 

Michelle Spring, MD