How to Find Someone Who Specializes in Rhinoplasty

Many have said if your wanting to have rhinoplasty its best to look for someone who specializes in it ... My problem is actually FINDING someone. Ive looked through tons of doctors already and finding someone who specializes in rhinoplasty is like finding a needle in a hay stack as they say! Any recommendations on a specific doctor(s) or ways to find someone would really be appreciated!

Finding a rhinoplasty expert

+1

Unfortunately, this is not as easy as it should be.  Many websites suggest expertise in everything which is not possible.  I would look for websites that have more content devoted to nasal surgery as a starting point. I would look for a minimum of at least 5 pictures of rhinoplasty on their website.  I would seek surgeons that have combined training in ear, nose, and throat with either plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery training.

Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgeon.

+1

Do your research. First check the  ABFPRS and ASPS sites for surgeons who are well qualified, certified and trained. Then look for those with an interest in the procedure and steady volume. At your consult see as many photos of previous patients before and after that you can to get a sense of the doctor's aesthetic and see if it matches what you are looking for.  You have to "connect"  to feel comfortable about this operation.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty specialist for you

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and I do understand and appreciate your dilema.  Use the internet and search websites of plastic and cosmetic surgeons to see what they (the surgeons not a marketing firm) write about Rhinoplasty and the aesthetics of what a Rhinoplasty should achieve.  Then pay for a few consultations with these surgeons and listen to what they tell you will make your nose more attractive.  Don't be surprised at the different opinions that you may receive as this is the art of medicine and plastic surgery.  Once you've had these consultations you will have learned about your nose and what will make it more attractive through Rhinoplasty and then you can choose which surgeons fits your specific needs.

I understand that this process is time consuming and that it would be nice for someone (like us on this forum) to tell you, "go see so and so" and it would be done, however this is a disservice to you, the patient, as you need to go through the discovery journey of learning about Rhinoplasty and how it can be applied to your particular case.  A referral to a single source would not allow that to happen, nor would any of us here be able to assess your needs personally....only you can do that.

Rhinoplasty experienced surgeon

+1

This is an excellent question.  The patient word of mouth is a valuable source.  Did they have a good experience as well as a result that they were pleased with.  The Plastic and Reconstructive Society will have a list of surgeons that specialize in rhinoplasty, as well as their rating.  The surgeons pre and post operative photos will let you know of their aesthetic eye.  Also some Dr.s offer imaging showing the patient the changes they feel can be accomplished.  Good luck to you.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Rhinoplasty Specialist

+1

Finding a good doctor in any specialty field is difficult. Ask the doctor for their credentials. Ask to see before and after pictures of thier rhinoplasty patients (do they have one or two, or hundreds?). Ask to speak with former patients  about their experience with the procedure and the doctor. These questions, and answers, will give you a good indication of what to expect from each doctor.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

How to find a rhinoplasty specialist

+1

Training and experience matter. Despite specialty affiliations, only a few physicians truly dedicate themselves to rhinoplasty surgery. One of the biggest challenges is to find a facial plastic / plastic surgeon who understands and preserves the airway function during rhinoplasty surgery. Nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty surgery can be a crippling complication. Definitely speak to several surgeons before making your decision. Good luck, 

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Look at The Rhinoplasty Society site

+1

Another resource is the web site of The Rhinoplasty Society, a group of plastic, facial plastic, and otolaryngologic surgeons dedicated to the operation. Society members must perform a certain volume of cases and educate each other.   Many of the teachers are members.  Just another place to look.

Also, check web sites for results that you like.  Make sure that you like and trust the surgeon.  Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Finding a Rhinoplasty specialist.

+1
I have been doing rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty for 35 years. However, I tell my consultation patients if you like the noses of a different experienced rhinoplasty surgeon go to him! You will have his idea of what a good nose looks like and the two of you should like the same kind of nose. My patients like natural noses while some go to a friend who makes a more turned up nose.

+1

Look at many before and after photos of the doctor on his website of office. If 80% of these are what you like then your chances of getting a good result is 80%. Of course board certification is important, but diplomas do not tranlate into excellent outcome.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you want an eperienced plastic surgeon call the American Society of Plasic Surgeons  or  the American Academy of facial  reconstructive surgery ( E.N.T. doctors) and ask for the ones in your area who specialize in rhinoplasty.

Erel Laufer, MD