Do You Have to Find a 'Special Implant Removal' Surgeon when Explanting?

Hi, I have decided to remove my implants and have visited two surgeons. One was very positive about my results after explantation. The other didn't think I would be happy with the results. Both are highly regarded surgeons. Do you think the more positive surgeon is more confident in his technique or is it a simple procedure that doesn't take much time? Does the surgeon matter when explanting? Should I find a specialist? Thank you

Implants Out

+3

I have a book illustrating implant removal case pictures I have performed.  It is not difficult or hard to predict results.  For some reason we doctors find it psychologically hard to agree to remove implants but we have no problem putting them in.  Imagine that!

Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

+1

It is difficult to predict how the empty breast cavity will respond when an implant is removed.  Being over confidant may be a pitch to sell you the surgery.

Breast implant removal

+1

Different doctors will advise you differently based on their training and experience.  If you talk to ten different plastic surgeons you might very well get ten differing opinions.  Each patient is unique.  Still, any board-certified plastic surgeon should be competent to remove breast implants.  This does not require any specialized training.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Breast implant removal

+1

The final results after breast implant removal is not predictable. There are many factore that interlpay during the healing process,

Length of time the implant in

Amount of breast tissue available

Position of the implant

Enblock removal with the capsule

The quality of skin

The presence of ptosis

The incision used

These are some of the major issues that need to be assessed. But no body can tell you exactly how the breast is going to heal.

Rest Implant Removal “Specialist”?

+1

I would suggest that you select a well experienced plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery to do your procedure; a “specialist” is not necessarily needed.

What your breasts will look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

A well experienced plastic surgeon may be able to,  after careful history and examination,   advise you in regards to what to expect after breast implant removal.