How do you find out what size (in cc) implant you have?

I'm planning on getting new silicone implants (replacing the saline) and my doctor assumed they are 450cc and my previous Surgeon cannot find my file (15 years ago).  Would each 100 cc be a cup? If I was a B cup and now a DD - wouldn't that be 300cc?  Please help, I don't want to choose a smaller implant.

Implants

+1

Without the information from your personal records or your previous doctor, there is no way knowing for sure what size implants that you have until you have surgery.

How do you find out what size (in cc) implant you have?Answer:

+1

If the records are truly lost, then there really is no way of knowing exactly, until they re removed and even if the implant company has the record, there is no way to know what they were filled to and how much is in them now..and the math you are using for cup size kinda doesn't work either...But your new surgeon will be able to tell when they remove them. Trust him/her to get you to the right cup size from there! I now use a program called TouchMD to allow patients access to their own records to avoid this issue!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

How to determine implant size you presently have before switch to silicone..

+1

Your implants have a size marking on their surface, so even if they are deflated or damaged during removal, your surgeon will know what size you had, and can assume a certain degree of overfill (usually about 10%). It's more important that your surgeon knows what size you want to be AFTER your implants are replaced--the same, slightly larger, or however much larger you want (since you said you don't want to be smaller).

In our office surgical facility we have every size of implant in every profile available on-site, so I don't have to worry about "what to order" or restocking fees. I have every option and need covered, and I only need to examine the implant for its marked size, and I always weigh the implants I remove as well, to see if they have deflated partially. This, and my discussion with my patients, and the photos they show me of their desired results, allow me to choose the best implants to fulfill my patients' goals.

In general, I believe it takes about 250cc to equal 1 bra cup size, so if you completely filled a B-cup bra before your saline implants and now completely fill a DD-cup bra by the same manufacturer, you may actually have substantially larger implants than you think, or they are filled to a higher volume than their 10% "overfill" estimate. This is why "estimates" are not very helpful, IMHO. I'd rather be prepared for whatever my patient has by having whatever implants she needs available all the time! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

What Size Implants

+1

If there are no records available you may be able to find out your size from the manufacturer. It would be easier to let your surgeon's office check on that. In surgery your doctor will be able to tell easily either by finding the size stamped on the implant or doing a simple volume displacement test. Finally, no patient should ever be required to pick the exact size of implant. Your job is to tell the doctor what look you want and his job is to make that happen. He should have multiple implants available in order to give you the one that fits.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Estimating breast implant size pre-operatively

+1

This is not uncommon that the records are not available prior to a revision surgery.   Most states require that the record be kept for 7 to 10 years.  It is my practice not to destroy any implant patient records but it does require space to keep the records.   When faced with this problem I have to estimate the size that is in place.  In general 150 to 200 cc will equal a cup size.   There are markings on the implants or the implant can be weighed when removed to determine its fill volume.  If you are planning to remove a large saline filled implant and replace with a smaller gel then I may do this in two stages, first remove the fluid from your existing implant this is relatively simple to do.  This, if done 4 weeks or so prior to your surgery, will allow the soft tissue and capsule to contract and get smaller so that you can accommodate a smaller implant and achieve your goal of a smaller breast.  If you were originally a B and now a DD a general estimate may be in the 400 cc range.  

Unknown breast implant size

+1

It is not uncommon to not be able to locate an old implant size.  In those cases, we make sure to have on site a wide range of potential sizes for exchange and once the old ones are removed their size is written on them and the proper new ones can be chosen.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Choosing Breast Implant Size for Revision?

+1

Personally, I do not think you should be responsible for “choosing” your new breast implant size. I think it is best to communicate your goals with your plastic surgeon ( I prefer the use of “goal” pictures)  and ask your plastic surgeon to do his/her best to achieve those goals.

Your plastic surgeon will likely have at  least a range of breast implants available in the operating  room. Once your current breast implants are removed and the breast implant  “pockets” adjusted as necessary,  sizers can be used to evaluate the breast implant size/ model that will best  achieve your goals.